Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would like to start making plans for a trip to Alaska.Any help would be appreciated. tks tracy
Eat lots of Garlic ,three or four days before you go , 2 or 3 cloves a day will work (keeps the Mosquitoes of you) then eat some while you are there. Been there and done that and it works , makes the trip more enjoyable. Enjoy the trip !
P.S. you might attract some Italian Eskimos

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Catch a cruise ship out of Vancouver BC to Seward for a starter. Much better scenery than the boats departing from Seattle. Seattle boats cruise up the West coast of Vancouver Island for two days. No scenery.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Go up for 2 months at least. PITA shoot is in Fairbanks first part of June and ATA State Shoot is outside of Anchorage in July. Kings are running and bottom fishing is excellent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you're driving, or going to rent a car while there, get a copy of the "Milepost" it's a mile by mile guide to every campground, motel, boat ramp, gas stop, fishing guide, most bars and attractions, plus detailed maps and phone numbers. It's paperback and not expensive.

If you're flying into Anchorage , you might want to rent a small motor home and tour around for a while. Seward and Homer are worth a stop. Look at tripadvisor.com

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If you are driving, the Milepost may not be up to date. Start looking for gas earlier than normal. I came across a couple that was out of gas and took then about 40 miles to fill up their gas can, and then back to their car.

It was on a pretty lonely stretch but we did get to see a Grizzly swim in the lake whiled we poured gas in the car. The guy really poured fast!:image035:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
IMG_0014.JPG
Consider renting a motor home, start in anchorage and head to Denali. Further to Fairbanks then loop around south to the coast to Valdez. Take a day cruise to glaciers and see some whales. Fish the ocean for halibut. Then head for the Kenai peninsula. Fish in July for kings reds and head for homer.
More charters for halibut n kings there. Best thing about the motor home is when you get tired park and sleep. No hotels no rental car. Just the motor home!
Fly Alaskan air. Get their credit card and get a free companion fare....

·
Registered
133 Posts
You definitely need 3-4 weeks if possible. Denali, Seward and Fairbanks are absolutely "must see" attractions. One of the only states where I enjoy driving as many miles as I can!
Another unusual but interesting thing to check out is the float plane airport in Anchorage. The largest number of landings and take-offs of float planes in the world. I enjoyed watching the planes for nearly an hour.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
should have added this first.we are in or 80's and not in that good of shape,so the rv will not work.will need a guided trip.this is truly a bucket list trip.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Drive along Cook Inlet down from Anchorage . If you like cruises ,Do the inside passage one. Denali is a must see. If you can take a tour or spend some time on the mighty Yukon River! If you like to fish Alaska is a GREAT place to do it. The fall Duck Hunting is amazing! I was there at Galena AF Station when it was open. They say when you go to Alaska, a part of you never leaves--I believe that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts