Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Do not use a screw extractor. Only thing you’ll do is make a mess. They were designed to give machinists and gunsmiths a headache.
If it’s a new BT99, contact Browning. This is was a common thing on some BT99’s.
Personally I’d put in my mill vise, flatten the broken screw with an end mill and then use a left hand drill bit appropriately sized. Most times the screw will back right out. Most people don’t have the luxury of a knee mill. A drill press will work. I would avoid hand drills or drill motors as some refer to them. One important key is to be centered up on the broke screw shank.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

My BT99 is old so it's not Browning's problem.

I am pretty sure the screw is hardened steel and I don't have a "mill vise". I do have a drill press but it is very old and there is a lot of wobble in the quill. I don't think it will drill a hole straight enough to work.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

My BT99 is old so it's not Browning's problem.

I am pretty sure the screw is hardened steel and I don't have a "mill vise". I do have a drill press but it is very old and there is a lot of wobble in the quill. I don't think it will drill a hole straight enough to work.
Probably worth taking to a gunsmith. He would probably have it out in a few minutes. Will be money well spent.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
How big is the screw? If you have a very steady hand you could use a flat end cutting carbide burr to flatten the surface. Then use a mini burr to grind into the center of the screw until either you can drill it or get an extractor in it.

As an auto mechanic I've used this method on many broken screws and bolts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I'll second taking it to a gunsmith, who can remove it quickly and damage-free in a few minutes for a very reasonable price. No reason to possibly damage a nice gun if you're not equipped to remove it correctly yourself.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
When that head broke off the screw it relieved all preload down Force on the threads. As long as there is no thread locker or bottomed out, the remaining stud can be walked out using a pointed pick like a throwing dart, scriber etc. save yourself some virus exposure and try turning it out with a pointed tool before seeking outside help.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toolmaker,

With a name like that I am going to take your advice. Can't hurt and I can't go to a gunsmith for the next few days in any case. I have an old ice pick that I can sharpen . I'll let you know how it works

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before you do anything else put a couple of drops of Kroil on it and let it set overnight I have had a lot of success getting stuck and corroded screws out. On small to medium size sometimes it helps to put the tip of a soldierIng gun on the screw and get it hot and try getting it out after it cools down after all this the pick method as mentioned above might work but the Kroil is great stuff . It also is a great barrel cleaner !

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After some quick work by a local machinist/gunsmith the screw is out and replaced. I am eager to try it out. Looks terrific and should shoot the same way. Spring is coming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts