Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which and why? Same price range. Other than the removable trigger what are the differences?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Ejector?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Ljutic Nut
2,940 Posts
It's personal for MDHyatt. I watched him win our state singles title with a 200/200 shooting a BT-100.
They are good guns and for the same price if you can get the drop out trigger, go for it.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
MDHyatt
OK. Why? I'm pretty ignorant on this subject.
The BT100 is a much nicer single barrel trap gun. Drop out trigger that is fully adjustable. Can also choose between eject or extract.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than the drop out adjustable trigger and the ability to change between eject and extract what makes it "nicer" than a BT99? Again, ignorance on my part.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The newer BT-99 shoots 60/40 the BT100 that I owned shot 70/30. I now shoot 0ne of Guns Unlimited 80/20 BT-99's

If you can find one of the BT-100's with a fixed full choke they pattern great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A quick summary of the basic differences:

BT-99
Two "generations" were produced (Gen 1 and Gen 2).

- The Gen 1 BT-99 was made from 1968 to 1995. This is sometimes referred to as the "old style" or "original" BT-99. General consensus is that Gen 1 BT-99s were better fit and finished than the Gen 2 version. There were a staggering number of different variants offered over the years . . . everything from the base model to highly-engraved/higher-quality wood versions at much higher prices. Fixed-choke versions . . . Invector-choke tube models . . . Invector-Plus choke-tubed models, 2-barrel sets, the BT-99 Plus (with adjustable rib and recoil-absorbing mechanism), Micro-sized models, the expensive Golden Clays version, contracted production-run "Leo Specials", and on and on. All the Gen 1 versions were equipped with an ejector. Used-gun prices for Gen 1 guns can therefore be all over the map, depending on condition, and the exact version it is. Some Gen 1-specific parts are getting hard to find.

- The Gen 2 BT-99 has been made from 2001 to the present. Many of them are extract-only. The base model has a very plain receiver and wood. Over the past 10 years or so, Browning has added many new Gen 2 versions to their line-up, and discontinued many others. Like Gen 1, special production runs and SHOT Show specials also exist. Some of them are very high-grade, and are even equipped with an ejector again. Therefore, Gen 2 BT-99 prices can also be all over the map (both new and used prices). Example: the base model Gen 2 currently has an MSRP of $1500. The current production BT-99 Max High-Grade has an MSRP of about $5400. Gen 2 parts (and those parts that are common to Gen 1 and Gen 2) are easy to find when you need them.

BT-100
The BT-100 was made only from 1995 to 2001. It has a completely different rib than (most) BT-99s. Yes, it has a drop-out trigger assembly, which means although the BT-100 externally resembles a BT-99 (and handles similarly), the insides of the guns are completely different. BT-100s were well fit and finished (equal to the Gen 1 BT-99 in that regard). Among some shooters, the BT-100 has almost a "cult following". Browning only made the BT-100 for a few years, then dropped it and introduced the Gen 2 BT-99.

Some replacement parts for the BT-100 are getting scarce.

So, you can't really compare/choose a BT-99 versus a BT-100 unless we know which exact version of each gun . . . new BT-99? Used BT-99? Gen 1 BT-99? Gen 2 BT-99?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I bought my TMX as a pre-owned gun in 1987. I liked the high rib but if Browning would have built the BT-100 or the BT-99 Max in the 80's my sign on name would have been different. I did own several BT-99s before the purchase of the TMX.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
A quick summary of the basic differences:

BT-99
Two "generations" were produced (Gen 1 and Gen 2).

- The Gen 1 BT-99 was made from 1968 to 1995. This is sometimes referred to as the "old style" or "original" BT-99. General consensus is that Gen 1 BT-99s were better fit and finished than the Gen 2 version. There were a staggering number of different variants offered over the years . . . everything from the base model to highly-engraved/higher-quality wood versions at much higher prices. Fixed-choke versions . . . Invector-choke tube models . . . Invector-Plus choke-tubed models, 2-barrel sets, the BT-99 Plus (with adjustable rib and recoil-absorbing mechanism), Micro-sized models, the expensive Golden Clays version, contracted production-run "Leo Specials", and on and on. All the Gen 1 versions were equipped with an ejector. Used-gun prices for Gen 1 guns can therefore be all over the map, depending on condition, and the exact version it is. Some Gen 1-specific parts are getting hard to find.

- The Gen 2 BT-99 has been made from 2001 to the present. Many of them are extract-only. The base model has a very plain receiver and wood. Over the past 10 years or so, Browning has added many new Gen 2 versions to their line-up, and discontinued many others. Like Gen 1, special production runs and SHOT Show specials also exist. Some of them are very high-grade, and are even equipped with an ejector again. Therefore, Gen 2 BT-99 prices can also be all over the map (both new and used prices). Example: the base model Gen 2 currently has an MSRP of $1500. The current production BT-99 Max High-Grade has an MSRP of about $5400. Gen 2 parts (and those parts that are common to Gen 1 and Gen 2) are easy to find when you need them.

BT-100
The BT-100 was made only from 1995 to 2001. It has a completely different rib than (most) BT-99s. Yes, it has a drop-out trigger assembly, which means although the BT-100 externally resembles a BT-99 (and handles similarly), the insides of the guns are completely different. BT-100s were well fit and finished (equal to the Gen 1 BT-99 in that regard). Among some shooters, the BT-100 has almost a "cult following". Browning only made the BT-100 for a few years, then dropped it and introduced the Gen 2 BT-99.

Some replacement parts for the BT-100 are getting scarce.

So, you can't really compare/choose a BT-99 versus a BT-100 unless we know which exact version of each gun . . . new BT-99? Used BT-99? Gen 1 BT-99? Gen 2 BT-99?
You are the go to guy for the BT’s. I believe the matte finish BT100 was the model that did not offer the eject/extract option. I had both a gloss and a matte finish BT100. The matte finish BT100 came with a drop out trigger missing the eject/extract option. The gloss finish BT100 trigger group had all options. The drop out triggers were interchangeable though on both. Should have never sold either of them.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Early gen 2 BT99's had different forend hardware with fewer anchor screws. They were more prone to forearm cracks. Which Browning will repair/replace and upgrade the hardware for free. Do it before you have a crack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,110 Posts
Bought a BT100.
You will not regret it. A much better overall shotgun than the 99. The 99's have a reputation for having a bit more recoil as well. I suppose this is contributed to there lighter than standard weight.

The only way you will get my Bt-100 is to buy it from my widow!!! break em all Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts