Trapshooters Forum banner

BT99 question from new trapshooter

2255 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  spitter
First off, I am not a new shooter, only new to the trap game, though in the past I have shot some trap, but only occasionally. 64 years old so I am getting into it a bit late, but it's all about having a good time. All my shotguns have a low rib, including my old Rem. 870tb and 3200 special trap. I am thinking of getting a BT99 for my gun clubs fall league, and am considering the 99 with adjustable butt and comb, or the 99plus. The main difference seems to be the plus is a much nicer gun to look at, along with a high rib. Never having shot a high rib gun before, what is the advantage, if any, and would the adjustment to a high rib be a long path for me and should maybe stick with the low rib gun? I would love to try one out before buying, but that is much easier said than done. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks all!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,577 Posts
The BT 99 will shoot high. Float the target above the end of the the barrel. The rib is high at the receiver and down low against the barrel at the muzzle. Makes it shoot higher than a flat rib where you are most likely covering up the target and then pulling the trigger. That’s a parallel rib to the top of the comb.
I shoot both types of ribs. You still have to fit it to shoot where you are looking.
Just my opinion and experience on the different ribs

· Premium Member
723 Posts
I shoot a newer BT-99 plus as well as an older ‘74 model. I also have an 870TB that I bought new in 1982. I can shoot them all fairly well, but it takes a few rounds to get myself dialed in to the particular gun. That said, I shoot the Plus the most because I’m more comfortable getting my eye to the higher rib and the adjustable comb helped as well to make the alignment more natural vs smooshing my chubby cheeks to get in line.
I’m about to turn 68 and not as flexible as I used to be.

Short version: The BT99 plus helps me shoot better and stay comfortable longer for the 50 and 100 shot rounds in league and registered shoots.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I have two BT 99's with the adjustable comb and Gracoil from Guns Unlimited in Omaha. I shoot one and the other is set up for my grandson. They are true target smokers when you get them dialed in.

· Registered
93 Posts
I just ordered the BT-99 with adj B&C. I had never shot one, am a new trap shooter and have been using my flat, cheapie O/U 20 ga to get some time on the field. The 20 is new for me too. I am starting to get a good feel for it and am shooting 18s. Like I said, I am new to this and also an old lady. Some one brought a beautiful late 60's BT Plus for me to try last week at league. It was awful. I think I shot 8 and maybe 5 of those were good hits. It shoots so high and I was lost.
I had NO business dragging that thing out there in league cold. I should have patterned it or at the very least, just not have put so much pressure on myself. I didn't want to appear ungrateful as he went out of his way to bring it and was really excited for me to try it. I left wondering if I had just wasted 1700.00 on the one in transit.
I am going to finish this league with the 20, take a break from the next league and just work on dialing in the BT. I bought a clay delay from a guy at the club to help with that. I am saving the 20 for sporting clays where I am really enjoying it.
I guess what I am trying to say is, if you borrow one, cut yourself some slack. There is a LARGE learning curve

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I just ordered the BT-99 with adj B&C. I had never shot one, am a new trap shooter and have been using my flat, cheapie O/U 20 ga to get some time on the field. The 20 is new for me too. I am starting to get a good feel for it and am shooting 18s. Like I said, I am new to this and also an old lady. Some one brought a beautiful late 60's BT Plus for me to try last week at league. It was awful. I think I shot 8 and maybe 5 of those were good hits. It shoots so high and I was lost.
I had NO business dragging that thing out there in league cold. I should have patterned it or at the very least, just not have put so much pressure on myself. I didn't want to appear ungrateful as he went out of his way to bring it and was really excited for me to try it. I left wondering if I had just wasted 1700.00 on the one in transit.
I am going to finish this league with the 20, take a break from the next league and just work on dialing in the BT. I bought a clay delay from a guy at the club to help with that. I am saving the 20 for sporting clays where I am really enjoying it.
I guess what I am trying to say is, if you borrow one, cut yourself some slack. There is a LARGE learning curve
The learning curve need not be steep at all. You need the help of a competent gunfitter.

· Registered
19 Posts
I started with a standard Bt 99. Excellent gun, just hold right at the bootom edge of the bird while it is on the rise. Factory my guess would be 60/40. I'm not sure about the newer models, I know some of them have adjustable ribs and some come standard 80/20. The BT is a great gun to start with and is also very forgiving.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am leaning towards the 99 with adjustable butt and comb, mainly because the rib is lower and I can adjust the comb to fit and adjust the poi. As sweet as the 99plus looks, I think that rib is just too high for me(I am not sure this old dog can learn new tricks) and would shoot better with the lower rib. If Browning would come out with the gun I want with upgraded wood and polished metal my world would be perfect. But pretty does not break clays I suppose. I am still going to try and locate someone with a plus that I can shoot a round with and see how I like it. Thanks everyone for the response so far. Everyone makes a good point with their opinions and experiences, and I truly appreciate it. It is still a hard decision to make tho... I am glad I am not trying to select a Perazzi, I would not survive it!!

· Registered
509 Posts
A lot comes down to what you are use to. My 14 year old has always shot field guns. I bought him an older BT-99 that shoots 60/40. He center punches the targets with it all the way back to the 27 yard line. Give him a high rib gun and he shoots over them badly. He can shoot other low rib trap guns very well too. The BT is a trap gun you can shoot from here on out. Some may call it a beginner gun, but there aren't many that is as proven day after day. On a side note, I would be on the look out for a stainless steel BT-100.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am just going to get the 99 with adjustable butt and comb, and go from there. I think after 3 or 4 flats of shells, I will have an idea if it will work out for me. If not, I will have a better idea of what will and the Browning will hold pretty good value if I keep it like new until then. Yes, some poo-poo the BT99 as a beginners gun, but they haven't been making them for 50 years or so because they are junk. If it works for me I can see shooting it until I can't shoot anymore.(unless there is a gun I just have to have, but that will never happen!;))

· Registered
6,262 Posts
If you find a good gun fitter, and spend some time at the pattern board, you'll find the BT-99 you ordered all the gun you'll ever need.

I am just going to get the 99 with adjustable butt and comb, and go from there. I think after 3 or 4 flats of shells, I will have an idea if it will work out for me. If not, I will have a better idea of what will and the Browning will hold pretty good value if I keep it like new until then. Yes, some poo-poo the BT99 as a beginners gun, but they haven't been making them for 50 years or so because they are junk. If it works for me I can see shooting it until I can't shoot anymore.(unless there is a gun I just have to have, but that will never happen!;))
Same advice. Find a good gun fitter, and spend time at the patterning board, then go out and crush some clays.

In my opinion Every trapshooter should own a BT99.
for the price there is no better trap gun.
I agree. I've yet to own one, but I've shot quite a few over the years, never less than a 20 with any of them, even beat up old rentals.

6,495 Posts
Started with the BT99... now own a laminated stock and nickel barrel version which is reserved for my guest shooters who visit... I have a Grade 2 Pigeon that's mostly a safe queen...

The BTs are great, non-adjustable and easy to shoot right out of the box... depending in the hardware, you might be happier sending the gun to Tron for an adjustable comb and butt pad...

The only downside with the BT is the weight... just a bit too light... I shoot the 90T for its heft...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.