Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my BT99 and I'd like to upgrade this year.
Maybe 4-5k but not much more.
I was looking into combos but I hardly shoot doubles or skeet and I already have an O/U albeit an inexpensive one. Figure I can pick up a Citori or something later.

Trouble is, my BT already has an adjustable comb and butt so besides the Gracoil and high rib, I'm not sure the Max is the bees knees.
Been contemplating SBTs like Perazzi TM1, Ljutic Mono, Mach One, Beretta 682 single, even thinking about an Ithaca 4E!
Or maybe just go o/u and get a 725 Pro Trap or Max.

Where would you go? BT99 to...???

I actually got a line on a Devault, but I would have to sell some body parts.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I bought my TMX used in 1987 and if they would have made the BT100 or BT99Max then my sign on name would have been MikeBT100. I had BT99s before the TMX and my Singles averages were probably better with the conventional rib gun. My Handicap scores improved with the TMX only because I set it up to have a higher POI. In all honesty the conventional ribbed Top Single gun is more intuitive to point. I read that many early owners of a TMX sold their guns because they couldn't get used to the high rib with sort of a visual disconnect. The same problem can happen for some people with a high rib Unsingle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well I noticed that you mentioned the TM1. Since you are use to the BT99 it would be a fairly easy transition to the TM1. That would be my choice. I shoot mine well. You can find some nice ones out there.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Well I noticed that you mentioned the TM1. Since you are use to the BT99 it would be a fairly easy transition to the TM1. That would be my choice. I shoot mine well. You can find some nice ones out there.
Yes. Look for a nice TM-1.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I own 2 725's, 2 BT-99's and a 4E. I'll take the 725's all day long. Great guns. The BT's and 4E are great guns as well but kick quite a bit more and shoot flatter (in stock form). Also, while I love shooting the 4E, they're not making 'em any more so I pulled it out as my primary shooter as it was starting to show more wear than I was comfortable with. Hard to go wrong with a 725 in my opinion but you're also considering some other mighty nice guns. You could consider picking up a lightly used 725 and use the rest of the money for shells or take a vacation and travel to your dream shoot:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why are you dissatisfied with your current gun? I started with a 682X and I don't think it's any better at breaking clays than your BT99. The TM1 and the 682x are essentially the same in terms of handling and balance. I don't have any experience with Ljutics. If you bought a 725 Pro or Max then you really don't need a combo as it can do it all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I kinda did the same thing you're thinking of last year. I've used BT's for over 40 years & wanted to upgrade to a really nice SBT rig as I don't shoot doubles. I found a work of art Kolat TS and am shooting better than I've ever shot even when I was young. Numerous 25's & 50's last year & 1-100. I never shot 100 w/ my BT's for whatever reason. I picked up a stunning TS for around 6k. I see lots of TS', KX-5-6's, & Ljutics out there in these price ranges. Go for it----you'll be glad you did

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tonight I been seriously looking.
So far:
Ljutic Mono
Devault Mach One
BT99 Max
725 Trap Max/Pro
or
687 Combo
725 Trap combo

Considering cost, all in my wheelhouse. Leaning towards the Ljutic...

·
Registered
683 Posts
First decide whether you want high-rib (un-single) or a top-single (like you BT)....or an O/U for everything. Thats question #1. Once you figure that out, and decide price range, things will start to narrow down.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Under $5000 gets you the best of both worlds.. the 725 combo, gives you a great unsingle high rib for Trap and an O\U you can use for the rest

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I have 2 bt 99’s. I grew up shooting them. Bought a TM 1 and really like it. I decided I wanted to shoot doubles and never look back. Bought a top single hi tech combo.

The TM 1 is a great gun.

lots of choices in your budget, but as others have said, going from flat rib to med or high rib is a personal preference to consider before you buy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
I've found that searching for a Ljutic is not as easy as it looks; they are all different! Am also not too keen on a 34" barrel. I'm on the short side.
Going to the range today to see if I can swing some high/med ribs and an unsingle just to get a feel/look.
Right now, I'm pretty high on the Mach One; going to talk to someone with a Devault and get some advice.
There are also a couple of guns right here on the forum that I'm looking at.
That 725 combo deal is smoking' too! The shipping to me though is crazy; something about it being shipped in two large boxes. I may end up with an SBT and then picking up a 725 later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
there is a kolar TC single barrel for sale on the members only area for $5250 , a little above your price but it's well worth that . I have a Kolar, probably shot it 30- 40,000 times ,very little to no maintenance, made in Racine Ws. very high quality gun. Every time I buy good stuff I am very seldom sorry in the long run.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well.

The guy with the Devault made me an offer I'm having a hard time refusing.
It's got release trigger but may try to shoot tomorrow. I'm sort of hoping I don't like it!
It's a lot of gun for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts