Trapshooters Forum banner

BT99 Max Extractor

4289 Views 35 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  2llc
My BT99 Max stopped extracting shells it looks to me the extractor extender is worn or metal broke off it not hitting sear in forearm
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
614 Posts
My BT99 Max stopped extracting shells it looks to me the extractor extender is worn or metal broke off it not hitting sear
Stopped extracting or stopped ejecting? Which "sear"? The ejector sear in the forearm iron?

To start, please post photos of the barrel monobloc area (both sides) showing the Ejector and Ejector Extension on the left side of the barrel, and the Ejector Stop Screw on the right side.

· Registered
614 Posts
Yep, your Ejector Extension is broken . . . the entire front-end chunk broke off. You'll need to get a new one. An unbroken one looks like the photo below.

By the way, the Ejector Hammer in your forearm is tripped (uncocked). Caused by the Ejector Extension being broken (missing chunk not present, so it couldn't press against the Ejector Hammer when closing the gun, which is what re-cocks the Ejector Hammer). After the new Ejector Extension is installed, you'll need to manually re-cock the Ejector Hammer to before you'll be able to put the forearm assembly back on the gun.

By the way, since the camming lobe on the rear end of your Ejector Extension is still present, your gun was probably extracting (slightly raising the shell) as it always did, but it could no longer eject, since the front lobe of the Ejector Extension broke off. Correct? (The front lobe is what's whacked by the Ejector Hammer to throw (eject) a fired hull out of the chamber).

Wood Grey Rectangle Tints and shades Font

· Registered
614 Posts
What do I have to do to manually uncock the (ejector) hammer?
Not uncock the Ejector Hammer . . . you need to re-cock it before you can put the forearm assembly back on the gun.

See photos below. You need to hold the forearm assembly firmly somehow. Use a non-marring tool (wooden dowel, nylon punch, etc) to push the Ejector Hammer to its cocked position (it will be captured and held by the Ejector Sear). You must press rather firmly to do this – the spring is quite strong.

Rectangle Font Office supplies Metal Electronics accessory

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Is the extender the same as the BT-100 Jeff? Either way, I have a feeling this part may be scarce.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Contact this guy, Roger Coveleskie at 623-935-2581. He is a machinist that makes gun parts

Because I know that the BT-100/ 99 Max extensions are basically non existent, I had asked him if he would be interested in machining some up. He has one for pattern, but don't know if he has replicated the dimensions yet. He may be your only hope I am afraid.

· Registered
614 Posts
Is the (BT-99) extender the same as the BT-100 Jeff?
See the drawing below. Browning lists different Part Numbers for these two components, and it looks like the major difference is the angled camming surface as shown (I verified this via micrometer measurement of these parts).

[Edited, since the OP successfully ordered the BT-99 part from Browning].

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

Either way, I have a feeling this part may be scarce.
In theory, it shouldn't be scarce . . . at least at the moment. Reason: according to their website, Browning is currently producing two BT-99 models with the ejector function (which means they use an Ejector Extension just like the OP needs) . . . the "BT-99 Max High Grade" and the "BT-99 Plus with Ejector". [I think there were also a couple of other BT-99 models in the past 5 years that also came with an Ejector]. I'd like to think this means Browning has a bin full of these Ejector Extensions these days (but who knows?), or at least can get one shipped to the OP (or to the OP's nearest authorized Browning Service Center).

OP (Goody313): please let us know what Browning tells you when you contact them.

BT-99 Max High Grade

BT-99 Plus with Ejector

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I was referring to the BT-99 MAX only, as this barrel and gun itself resembles the BT-100.

I seen the part listed on MGW, and it listed the BT-100/BT-99 Max with the ejector itself. Unfortunately, the extender is not available. So I am thinking the extender is the same on the BT-99 MAX, but different than the standard BT-99's.

· Registered
614 Posts
So I am thinking the extender is the same on the BT-99 MAX, but different than the standard BT-99's.
Browning's habit of re-using model names (for different guns!) is quite confusing and annoying. The BT-99 Max is a perfect example:
  • There was the 1990s version of the BT-99 Max (the one that was basically a Gen 1 BT-99 with a BT-100-style rib on it).
  • And there's the new BT-99 Max . . . this is what the OP has . . . and this gun has an adjustable rib (like the old BT-99 Plus). To add to the confusion, some of the new-style BT-99 Max guns have an ejector (like the OP's), and some don't.

If anyone wants to wade through the information below, I'm showing what I believe is the story on BT-99/BT-100 Ejectors and Ejector Extensions.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I hear you Jeff, about Browning's tendency to repeat names. I should have clarified that the 90's BT-100, BT-99 Max was the one I was thinking of. Now that you mentioned it, I see the barrel and rib in his picture.

I know the extension that is listed as the BT-100 extension has been basically non-obtainable. What is odd is the extension is not listed as the BT-100/BT-99 Max (90's) when the ejector itself is. Being as the ejector is the same, and the barrel basically the same as the BT-100, I would only assume the extension for the older version BT-99 (MAX) would also be.

Like you mentioned, they are probably sending the BT-99 extension part #1793724 which may have to be altered to be like the BT-100/BT-99 Max extension part #1793020, because that one has not be available for a long time.

The only room bigger for their BT-99 parts would be their serial number archive records.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I am sure Browning is being cost effective to only offer the BT-99 extension that is similar to the Bt-100/BT-99 Max version to be altered to fit. Seeing as this part would have to be fitted somewhat anyway, and more than likely by a gunsmith. Makes no sense to make two separate parts themselves, when that small alteration can be made if replaced. The crazy thing is, these damn extensions fail pretty often in this configuration

· Registered
614 Posts
What is odd is the extension is not listed as the BT-100/BT-99 Max (90's) when the ejector itself is.
The Parts List I showed in my earlier response was several years old. Below is Browning's latest, which lists these same parts with slightly different names, much like you said they should be.

I notice on their website they no longer have a separate Parts List for the BT-100 at all . . . I guess they consider all BT-100 parts obsolete and out of production, except those that were shared in common with BT-99s all along.

In their latest Parts List below, note how the unique BT-100 Ejector Extension (1793020) is not even on this list anymore. It must be just like you said . . . they consider the BT-99 Ejector Extension (1793724) to be the only one that's sensible to remain in production since all they're manufacturing anymore are BT-99s of one type or another . . . and only those BT-99s with an ejector function (Gen 1 or Gen 2) require this part. Sadly, the BT-100 gun is long gone and unlikely to ever return.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Magenta

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called Browning today to make sure they were sending me the correct one They said gun got to come back to them the part I need #179374 I'm going to call tomorrow and try to speak to a supervisor looks like a easy fix I took the gun to a gunsmith today he said he could fix might have to be polished

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.