Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BT99, Latest Production; Opinions, Comments?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Billster 
#1 ·
I am interested in the impressions of the latest production BT99's, especially from owners/shooters.

I realize they don't have engraving, have extractors only and satin finished stocks; unlike those from the 1970' through 1990's.

#5 ·
Joe

I am old enought to remember the first BT's when they came out.

I'm not 100% interested in buying any BT's at the moment, just curious.

Do you have any further documentation on; "The new Brownings are junk. They have used softer metals. The hammers and springs are breaking in a rather short time." such as how this conclusion was drawn? Such as having ot oberving a number of failures on these, or experience of problems after a low number of shells fired.

In 36 years I have seen a few issues with the older BT99's. This from a small sampling I have seen, myself and does not represent a scientific study.

Chamber rust; in our humid climate around the Great Lakes, the older guns are very prone to chamber rust when fired with plastic shells. If not swabbed with an oil mop, at the club, after shooting is done, they will have a skim of rust in the chamber when you get home. I have seen this with guns belonging to others, had it happen with Citoris.

Shooting loose; I have encountered a number of owners of older BT's that have shot loose and have been or were in need of tightening. I have seen this with 6 to 8 owners at league or registered shoots. It may have been how they were treated/maintained as some had not fired an excessive number of shells, such as 100,000+

#6 ·
I have a 79 Gr. I 2 bbl. set and an 87 Leos Pigeon Grade 6......From my observations the older BT's have far better fit and finish, are much more attractive, and even the GR. I guns have much nicer wood than the new production. I can't comment on the quality of metal now used or breakage issues as I don't own a new model.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

#7 ·
I have two friends that bought the Golden Clays model BT-99. That gun sells for over $3000. Both of them broke down win thin a few months. The first one they replaced. The second on has been back twice for repairs with in the first six months. I have seen other friends with either the 99 of the 100 have numerous problems. Broken hammers, firing pins, lever springs. The 99 is a simple gun. The have very few parts. I have owned more that a dozen of the older guns and NEVER had one break down. Take a chance and buy one.
I bought one of the first models that came out. The newer ones can't compare to it. Look at the adjustable comb. The rods on the comb are about 3/16". Should be at least 3/8",

#9 ·
Memory coming back on the one golden Clays gun that they repaired. The dealer got five of them on an order. My Buddies was one of the five. When they found his flaw, they were going to give him one of the other four. Guess what? All of them had the same flaw. You couldn't put the gun together. This is on a $3000 BT. Some quality control.

#10 ·
Skip

How long have you had the newer BT's and do you know roughly how many rounds they've seen.

As for shooting loose, I did qualify that with "It may have been how they were treated/maintained"; I know some shooters don't waste time and effort on cleaning and lubrication, others continuously slam a break action shut so hard you can hear the barrel(s) vibrate two posts away, neither can be too condusive to longevity. I know one shooter with one he bought in the early 1970's, still shoots it, it is tight, lever still off center to the right.

#11 ·
Rem. I have a new model for 2 yrs now, and shoot it all the time, and i have had older models in the past, no the new ones are not as nice as the older ones, but the perform equally as well, they are bored to .740, lengthen forceing cones, invector + tubes, on the down side, no engraving not quiet as slick finish, but the worst part, and i found out by having a release trigger installed by Spears, that the trigger assembly has a lot of aluminum parts, which he replaced with steel parts while installing the release trigger, I even have the much malined adjustable comb, which i have had no trouble with, just dont strongarm the adjusting screw over tighting it, As stated before, I truely believe they are the best value for your trapshooting dollar, new or used, if your watching you dollars. Try one, you'll like it. good shooting and smokum. Big Jim

#12 ·
Two questions;

1.) Roughly how high does the extractor raise the fired shell?

2.) Big Jim, do you recall what was made of aluminum in the trigger system?

#16 ·
I have one of the high grade models that are exclusive to Hi-Grade Shooter Supply in Irwin, PA. I've had it for a couple of years now and have not had any problems with it. Wood, Finish, and fit are very nice on this model as compared to the plain jane version. Although I wouldn't be afraid to purchase the plain model...I know quite a few guys that own these and they have not had any problems with them that I am aware of...

#17 ·
I have had several 99s over the years. This last one is the first new model (2003)I have and can say I see not much difference in early versus late. The biggy is the plain jane wood and no engraving. I am going to have my trigger worked on so that should tell me something. I do prefer the BT100 over any year 99 though.

Bernie

#19 ·
jerryp, I would think the black trigger would be made of steel, I have a new BT 99 trigger that my friend gave me when he sold his gun, and it is gold anodized aluminum. It is less expensive to machine them out of aluminum. My friend got his when they first reproduced them around 2002 and was not happy with the adjustable comb setup with 3/16 posts.

George

#20 ·
"George, I didn't realize the trigger itself was aluminum. That explains why some triggers are gold and some of about the same age are black. The black ones were probably built with older existing stock."

Comment on the trigger material, 1+ year after the fact.

I got my new BT99 in Feb. 2007, it has a gold trigger and the magnet tells me that it is steel, not aluminum. Code indicates 2005 manufacture, it was acquired from the dealer, new, in a sealed carton.

#21 ·
Just posted to Nailer re: the BT. As I told him - bought new last Aug. and now 10K rounds thru it. Damned fore-end screws kept loosening/shearing until stock fitter solved the problem once and for all (wake up Browning/Maroku). Otherwise - the gun just WORKS shot after shot. Not happy with the quality/setup of the adj. comb but with washers it stays put. Happy addition Gracoil. Fits me like a glove and the 'losts' are 100% me. When I'm 'on' with the gun it's there for me every time. Not interested in stinkin' engraving or wonder wood. I just want to break targets and the gun works - gold plated steel trigger and all. (Even bought the wife a Micro - she loves it.) And there's my $.02. BTW: the extractor raises the shell about 1/4 - 3/8". Easy hull retrieval.

cheers
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.