Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old bt 99 AR that is not locking up tight. I just noticed it last week. I shoot at about 6-7000 targets a year so this seems a little premature to me. I have had other bt's that held up much better than this. I'm not sure where to proceed from here. I just had an issue with a loose screw on the forepiece but this has been resolved.
Have any of you had luck with Browning fixing this? The lever is about dead center.
Any advice appreciated

Bill

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Had Phillip's Gunsmithing do a loose BT-99 for me. Was pleasantly surprised to find that its cured by forearm lug wear/adjustment. Less than $50.00.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I just got my 1974 bt back from browning. I needed a full rebuild browning was 2 month and $235. Lots of people warned me against Browning Customer Service but zero complaints from me. They quoted the right amount and I got the gun back 3 weeks before it was promised.

Reactions: SD Trap Family

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bill,
I had a relatively new BT99 that the fore arm screws kept coming loose. I called Browning CS. They said send it in because it was a "known" problem. They shipped it back with no charge warranty repair. I do not know what they did, but it solved the problem. I would call them and you may be pleasantly surprised. The turn around time was reasonable.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We had to send in a Plus and as henrydog stated, it was done very well and was back before they had stated.
Gun is still performing well

Bud

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sundown, I see you are new here.

All new BT's are very tight from the factory. The popular recourse here is to remove metal to loosen the gun.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sundown,

This is a comment from above:

"Was pleasantly surprised to find that its cured by forearm lug wear/adjustment. Less than $50.00."

That is what they file on to loosen the gun when new. It comes back to bite them.

·
Vendor
19,090 Posts
It is a "lack of lube" issue. Use wheel bearing grease beginning today. You cheated the lube and now you pay the price.

·
Vendor
19,090 Posts
Have seen/witnessed many (20+) whre guys just keep slapping them together witout lube.And they shoot. adn then wonder why they get loose.

But Johnny, the main reason they get loose is that they fail to lube the back of the latch lug on the bbl. It wears quickly without lube.

·
Vendor
19,090 Posts
I think it is pretty obvious that the BT owner lubes his gun in the radius (s) and hinge pins. But actually many do not. Why? because the gun functions dry. but the BIG reason the gun get sloppy is that th ebbl lug that fits into the forend latch quickly wears. adn the only way to stop that is to LUBE it with grease. Not oil, grease. Not STOS, grease. Had he done that the gun would not have loosened up. You can see on the picture that the wear area of the lug is actually small and the metal degenerates in short order. You can lube your gun with any damn thing that catches your fancy, but if you want it to last, use WBG. Wheel Bearing grease on the radiuses, hinge pin, and the bbl lug. Adn that is why the BT99 has to go to get the lug rewelded.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts