Trapshooters Forum banner

BT99 combo with Browning Case

2386 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  INKem
I acquired this a few months ago, someone had made a different comb.
In the process they had cut of the rear of the cradle the comb sits in.
I found a piece of walnut and replaced the missing piece.
My wonder is , is there much collector value in this. I believe it was made in 1976.
1) 34 inch .729 bore .035 constriction
2) 32 inch .729 bore .015
constriction
Leather case, wool inside.
Undecided whether to get a new stock made . Or is it just a shooter's gun
Wood Beige Wood stain Table Automotive exterior
Glove Wood Tints and shades Pattern Fashion accessory
Luggage and bags Bag Textile Wood Tool
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I acquired this a few months ago, someone had made a different comb.
In the process they had cut of the rear of the cradle the comb sits in.
I found a piece of walnut and replaced the missing piece.
My wonder is , is there much collector value in this. I believe it was made in 1976.
1) 34 inch .729 bore .035 constriction
2) 32 inch .729 bore .015
constriction
Leather case, wool inside.
Undecided whether to get a new stock made . Or is it just a shooter's gun View attachment 1763783 View attachment 1763784 View attachment 1763785
Serial number have a TT or RT in it? If so it’s a higher shooting trap gun. Worth restoring. And shooting.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
RP
I believe maybe the more I look appears to be a 1978
Last 3 digits are 109
It’s still a shooter. Made before they made the mistake with forearm screws shearing off. Looks like a beavertail forearm, some like it but I liked the taller “competition” one. Seems like the taller forearm let you shoot a bit higher naturally. ( but maybe that’s just me. )

Reactions: Dustydoo

· Premium Member
8,267 Posts
The ones that I've seen sell in recent times typically are selling at a price point between $1200-$1400 with original Browning case.

Not really worth spending money on custom stock unless the like the guns concept and planning extended ownership.

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I've owned a few of the 2-barrel sets and in my opinion, they are MUCH nicer than the new BT-99's.
I think that your 32" barrel has been opened up as my "singles" barrels were choked MOD around .025.
Still a nice set. Unlikely to find another original Browning stock set .
Worse case: Aftermarket stock and send the 32" to Briley for "Thinwall" chokes.
Paul in Virginia

· Registered
3,903 Posts
I own a 2 barrel set. Originally, had two 32 inch barrels. My son was small, so I had one barrel modified: I had Briley cut one barrel off slightly more than 2 inches, backbore, forcing cones, re-bead , and put extended choke tubes on it. Put a different stock on it, the one it came with was junk. The short barrel just boils targets.
Was bought to let my son get started. I use it now to help small kids get started. It's a gun, made to be used. It served It's purpose. Besides, the other barrel has 40 thousandths choke.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Oops .685
Corrected
HeH. Still. That’s a pretty tight choke under modern choke “wisdom” but 0.045 isn’t really much over the accepted 0.041 full choke of yesteryear. Shoot it a while and it might surprise you. Try some 7/8 and 1 ounce shells. That choke will make them killers even at 27 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.