Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to assemble, clean (after shooting), & in general maintain a bt-99? Are they relatively simple guns to use? Is there anything I need to know ahead of time before looking into purchasing one?.. Well made, etc?..
Thanks,

-ithaca

·
Registered
313 Posts
The BT-99 is a great trap gun that will hold it's value well. Very easy to clean and maintain. We've got 2 in our stable and love them. Only thing you need to know before looking into one is that they make trap shooting even more addicting!

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
The BT-99is a simple gun to maintain and one of the best" if not the best" dollar for dollar value in a SB trap gun. There are untold hundreds of them in use and they are target busting machines. You can get a new one for the cost of a trap grade auto (and a lot cheaper than some). Lots of used ones around also at reasonable prices.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I own 2 BT-99's, one is from 1971 and the other is 2014. Both are great quality guns and shoot well. Very easy to assemble, shoot, clean and maintain. They are also a very common gun so parts and accessories (like chokes) are usually quite easy to find and gunsmiths are familiar with them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
"Tech Writer Jeff" Meloy's book on the BT-99

Complete fully illustrated disassembly instructions down to the last pin and screw for the original Generation 1 BT-99 and the current-production Generation 2 BT-99. Accurate and up to date exploded views. Reassembly hints and tips. Periodic maintenance including how to replace the mainspring top lever spring and the firing Pin. Troubleshooting common and not so common problems. Accurate serial number and year-of-manufacture data and more, Available from Gun Show Books

If you own a BT this is the book to have ~ Mich

·
Registered
337 Posts
They are very easy guns to maintain I picked myn up two years ago it was manufactured in 1993. They told me it had about 15k rounds through it when I got it and i have put another 10k myself. Haven't had to replace anything it's a workhorse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recently bought a new BT-99 after one of the guys at the gun club let me try his. I was hooked and bought one the following week. My scores in the last two weeks of using this gun have moved from the high 70's - mid 80's, to the low to mid 90's. of 100. I'm very pleased with the gun. It's simple, no ejectors, just extractors, no safety, no adjustable trigger and in my case I did not need to move the adjustable comb. Now the rest is up to me to improve. For maintenance, I wipe it down with Rem Oil, and run a light Rem Oil patch through it. Keep the pivot points greased and you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
They are the best trap gun for the money. Buying a used one is even a better value. Try to buy a 34" barrel and a stock that hasn't been butchered. I have owned quite a few of them. I'm still trying to wear out the one I bought new in 1978. The "High Shooters" rock for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts