Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
In a word . . . no.

It would be theoretically possible (with heavy emphasis on the "theoretically") . . . but it’s definitely not economically sensible. A highly-skilled machinist would need to fabricate mirror images of the Top Lever Dog and Locking Bolt, and devise some way to move the Top Lever Dog Spring to the other side of the Receiver. That’s a lot of risky, super-expensive (and warranty-voiding!) machine work for so little gain. You'd likely spend the equivalent of a whole 'nother BT-99 . . . IF you could find somebody willing to do it (highly doubtful).

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Is there a way to convert a BT 99 top lever for a lefty? I know I can just push it.

Thanks

In a word . . . no.

It would be theoretically possible (with heavy emphasis on the "theoretically") . . . but it’s definitely not economically sensible. A highly-skilled machinist would need to fabricate mirror images of the Top Lever Dog and Locking Bolt, and devise some way to move the Top Lever Dog Spring to the other side of the Receiver. That’s a lot of risky, super-expensive (and warranty-voiding!) machine work for so little gain. You'd likely spend the equivalent of a whole 'nother BT-99 . . . IF you could find somebody willing to do it (highly doubtful).
first I am a reasonably skilled gunsmith machinist with way to many highly skilled machinists to fall back on when I find myself in over my head!

so here is my take on this!

Risky? Expensive? I just to not see it

Yes it will void all of any Browning warranties.

But of all the guns that one might ask if making it a LEFT hand shotgun

the BT 99 is the (I have seen some drop in parts for a K80 that makes it easier) 2nd easiest shotgun to think about how to do this with.

At wurst the top lever dog would need to be Fabricated, but it has a square hole where it mates with the top lever, the top lever dog between the top lever and locking block would need to be turned 180 degrees with a new seat for the spring machined into it.

the action would need to have a new spring seat drilled into it
Drilling the receiver is going to take a longer then normal drill bit so the chuck will clear the receiver tang.

and the locking block would need a notch cut so the top lever dog will have something to work in. I have to ask why fabricate a new locking block? the 1/8" x 1/8" x 3/8" (approximately) notch, can be machined straight across the locking bolt from where it is for right hand operation and is far enough removed from the stress created by firing that it would not weaken it in anyway! and is A SIMPLE straight forward machining step!

So far everything I look at with the original question is straight forward, "what is it going to take to turn the top lever dog 180?" "drill a new spring seat" "machine a small notch"

Even with the extra long drill and maybe the need of a carbide mill bit (maybe but I doubt it) these to steps in any machine shop will not even get to the minimum price charge! so that is what $60 to $100?

Would I want to be the first guinea pig to this? if my friend Bill collaborates heck ya!

The fly in the anointment is the top lever dog if it co-operates $400 would be high for this task!

I may have to take my Charles Dayly SBT and see how hard it is to lefty it! than I could really tease the left handed shooters with it a the shoots!

And just for the knock that has to be fired! The Charles D SBT made in the same factory as the BT 99 while it will not interchange parts is little more than a production prototype of the BT99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Shooter2014

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a way to convert a BT 99 top lever for a lefty? I know I can just push it.

Thanks
I'm left handed, and shoot a Bt-99 and a Bt-100, and have no problem with the top lever. Just use my thumb to push it over. I did install a 1911 firing pin spring to elevate the shells up to remove them.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I am a lefty, I have a BT-99, and I also have a machine shop. I just happen to make the action blocks for the BT-99. Maybe I will convert mine to a lefty type gun. My K-80 is set up for a lefty and I love it. When some body picks it up they are surprised how it opens. Roger C.

·
Banned
495 Posts
shooter2014,
I am going to price it out. I will use the figure of 25 change overs to estimate the costs. I will let you know as soon as I can. Roger C.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Shooter2014,

have made two of the dogs for the lefty BT-99. I am going to convert mine in a couple of weeks. If you are still interested send me a PM. Roger C.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ordered some Perazzi blocks from Roger a time or two. They were almost in the mail box before I hung up the phone. Good service!

·
Banned
495 Posts
BT-99 conversion,
Just finished converting my BT-99 to a left hand top lever. If anyone is interested in this service contact me either by PM or at 1-623-935-2581

·
Banned
495 Posts
BT-99 conversion parts are now in stock. If interested I only have 19 pcs. left. See above post for contact info. I will return the changed out parts to you. If you sell the gun you can give the buyer the parts and they can convert it back to right hand opening in about 20 min. At no added costs. Roger C.

·
Banned
495 Posts
The cost is $175.00. + shipping. If your action bolt is ok I will recut it to work with the cross over. If it needs a new block the cost is $50.00 more. I will ship back to you any parts changed out. If you sell it to a right hander, it can be changed back easily. No machine work needed. If no action block needed I only need the receiver. If block is needed I will need the barrel. Thanks for the inquirey. Roger C.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I can also send the top lever dog, and the new left hand action bolt, and directions as to were to drill the return spring hole in the receiver. You can do the assembly your self or have your gun smith do it for you. It could end up cheaper in the long run. Kit is $110.00 includes shipping. Roger C.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts