Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at the current production BT-99 Plus lately. Nice scroll work & furniture w/ 80/20 poi. However, at nearing double the price of a GU 80/20 I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger. For those of you that have been around and shot the Plus- is it worth the extra?
A

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Just different color lipstick from the BT-100, which had a removable trigger. With all of the model and name changes from Browning it is hard to even keep track anymore, including their serial number process.

But a used BT-100, and use the savings to buy ten flats of shells, if you can find them.

Reactions: hunter44

· Premium Member
723 Posts
I have the current production BT-99 plus. As you note, it’s fit and function are very similar to the GU special 80/20, assuming an adjustable comb on the GU. The difference is cosmetic. The GU is a great utility grade unit, while the Plus has a much higher metal finish level, the engraving and the wood is beautiful. Whether the cosmetics are worth the money is purely a personal decision. Both will break targets equally well.

· Registered
461 Posts
Go with the plus. Just for looks. Nothing wrong with appreciating a beautiful trap gun even if it is the browning. I bought one new. Sent it off for stock work and while it was gone i bought another gun that unintentionally replaced it lol. So i have a bt99 plus with less than 500 rounds down the pipe with a rad recoil and soft comb that is kept as my back up. Seems a waste but thats just the way the cards fell.

· Registered
75 Posts
Normal BTs just don't wind my clock.

The low rib, pallet wood, and dull finish all take a lot of the trap gun fun out for me.

They will absolutely slam targets, and I shot one a long time, but for many years now I've enjoyed looking at my choice of shotgun nearly as much as using it.

· Registered
184 Posts
I’ve been looking at the current production BT-99 Plus lately. Nice scroll work & furniture w/ 80/20 poi. However, at nearing double the price of a GU 80/20 I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger. For those of you that have been around and shot the Plus- is it worth the extra?
A
Reeds in MN has the best prices,and you can pick the wood online; don't be week it is worth it .

· Registered
3,169 Posts
A
Yes, hands down.
Unless you can shoot a stock BT without modifications you will end up piecemealing to the configuration anyway.

· Registered
697 Posts
I know that when I take my BT 99 Plus out of its case at the club, I always get compliments on it. I think it shoots as good as it looks. Another thing not mentioned is that the wood is a higher grade wood than the standard 99. I used to own a standard 99 with adjustable comb. The Plus out shines the old one I owned. I would buy another in a heart beat. I only wish they made a non-ported model. I also might mention that my gun is a 34in.
This is the posting for a 32in gun at Reeds:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.