Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night while shooting my recoil system would 1.) - occasionally compress/collapse when I mounted the gun, 2.) - compress/collapse when swinging on a clay.

The gun appears to have not been shot much so i find it hard to believe its worn out but something is def wrong.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

Fixes/replacement options?

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Take it out and look at it. Something probably came loose like the retainer nut. I have one but it hasn't given me any problems.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This was posted March 11,2009 on the Timney replacement for the BT99. Something you might want to look for I guess they are still available some places.

RLC323Member
I have Timney reducers in both my BT+ and Citori+. The Timney is a major improvement over the original Browning unit that featured the "ca-chunk" sound on each shot. It is a direct replacement, no modification is needed. The Timney is quiet and has two springs which both can be adjusted for compression. It takes a bit of work to get the compression correct with the Timney unit. Adjust the springs too tight and you get no compresion and no recoil reduction. Too loose, and the unit bottoms and provides no effective compression. You have to spend some time adjusting it to your shells and size of body.

When I started working on mine I set the springs very stiff, put a piece of masking tape on the area that compresses and shot a few shots. I loosened the spring tension gradually and repeated the shots. When the tape indicated almost full compression it seemed to work the best. When you get it right it works great and lasts for years.

I actually had one of the original single spring units when Al first put them on the market. At the Grand I was visiting with him a few years later and he showed me his improved version. Al gave me a new dual spring unit in trade for my old single spring unit even up. Nice fellow and a real craftsman when he was in his prime.

RLC323, Mar 11, 2009 Report

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
the Teflon grease inside originally dries out eventually...there was a procedure that was on a sticky here on TS that told how to disassemble and regrease and adjust....I like the factory unit way better than the replacements because it doesn't collapse until the gun goes off ..I pull a gun fairly tight back into my shoulder

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
When my friends did that, the end cap had come loose from the reducer. Make a note of your length of pull, loosen the 3 2mm set screws on the butt pad mount and then wind it off the "piston". If the end cap falls out of it you're on the right track. Screw the cap back in until nearly flush and then lightly stake the threads. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have one on my BT 99+. Before the first use (bought it used) I disassembled the unit, cleaned and lubed it. Works very well with felt recoil reduced dramatically. Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts