Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can change eject to extract but can you change extract to make it eject ?

If so, how ?

Have a newer style Bt but never knew it was extract only until I got it home-bought used.

Prefer eject.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I'm not where I can look at the book directly, but I believe in Jeff Meloy's book The Browning BT-99........ he specifically says that the new model -99's can NOT be made to eject. The receivers are cut differently, parts are arranged differently or absent altogether. Sorry.

· Registered
15,263 Posts
Anythings possible with enough $, but the parts are not present and the receiver, forend iron, and forend are not machined to accept said parts. I'll bet it "could" be done, since it'd be kinda dumb for Browning to make separate receivers and forend irons for the current gen extractor and ejector models, but I'll bet the cost would approach selling the gun you have and buying a brand new BT w/ ejector.

I'm kinda in the same camp, just picked up an extractor BT myself, would have preferred the ejector, but in the end it's not really a big deal to pull the empty out.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
According to Mr. Meloy's book, there is no such thing as a Gen 2 "Ejector" model. If you want a BT99 that ejects, you have to find a Gen 1. The currently produced models are extractor only.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Not true. BT99 Plus is an ejector model.
True, but a Gen 2 BT99 Plus is not the model that the OP is speaking of, nor that Mr. Meloy addresses in his book. Different model, different features. I believe the Plus has higher grade wood, adjustable comb, gloss finish, and other added features over the standard model. It's also several hundred dollars more expensive. Maybe the same style of receiver, but the ejector also requires additional parts on the barrel to function.

· Registered
614 Posts
  • Yep, it's the inevitable curse for non-fiction writers like me.
  • As soon as I complete a book about a gun and put the book on the market, the gun manufacturer changes something.
  • When I wrote the BT-99 book, there were basically only two types of BT-99s loose on the world: the original Gen 1 (all of which had an ejector), and the Gen 2 (all of which were extract-only).
  • Then, about a year after the book was released, Browning introduced some newer models that retain many of the Gen 2 features (e.g., short-tang trigger guard), but Browning added the necessary parts/machining to provide an ejector again. That new-ish "BT-99 Plus with Ejector" is a perfect example . . . it's definitely not a Gen 1, but it does have an ejector. Maybe, we should start calling those "Gen 2 with ejector" or maybe even "Gen 3".
  • That said, if anyone has a Gen 2 BT-99 that came from the factory as extract-only (which is still the case with the vast majority of BT-99s currently being made), it's exactly as everyone said in earlier posts: it would cost an enormous amount of money with a lot of expensive machining to incorporate an ejector into such a gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.