Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning my son's old BT 99 MICRO tonight, it had been on sabbatical for a year with a new lady shooter, and I found a screw that holds the ejector had backed out. When I tighten it down real snug, the ejector is stuck. I was wondering if a little Lock Tite, blue, might be needed.

IMG_20200308_202932142.jpg
IMG_20200308_202932142.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you take the screw out you might find the nose on the end of the screw is broken off and binding the ejector when fully tightened.
I did remove the screw and ejector. Didn't see any broken parts. Ejector is strange, 2 pieces?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at schematic and it appears to be:

B1793728 EJECTOR STOP SCREW,
BT99 / 99-MAX / 99-PLUS / BT100
Wonder if any of the gunsmiths would have one or do I need to call Browning?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Charlie:

Does everything look like what's shown in the photos below?
The ejector being in two separate pieces (Ejector and Ejector Extension) is common to all BT-99s.
Overall length of the Ejector Stop Screw is as shown below.

View attachment 1659631
Does the screw go between the ejector stops?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks like if you over-tighten the ejector stop screw it could bind the ejector. Jeff’s first photos states “ejector stop screw.[flush when seated properly]”

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looks like if you over-tighten the ejector stop screw it could bind the ejector.
Can't really happen, especially if you're simply re-tightening the (assumed unbroken) factory-original screw that was already in the gun and working properly before it backed itself out slightly.

The overall length of the screw is such that the tip of the screw sticks out just far enough to engage the stop, but not far enough to touch the actual body of the ejector.

Even when the screw is fully tightened, the Ejector slides back and forth freely in its slot.

Additionally, it's almost impossible to over-tighten this screw. From the factory, they're often super-tight, and sometimes difficult to remove at all, especially on some of the more recent (Gen 2) BT-99s. I believe the factory polishes the side of the monobloc with the screw already inserted . . . i.e., the head of the screw is "finished over" during final fitting and assembly to ensure that with the screw fully tightened, its head is exactly flush with the side of the monobloc. If the screw somehow loosens itself and the head sticks out far enough (it doesn't take much), you won't even be able to close the barrel. The head of the screw must be flush with the side of the monobloc as I mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the photos and discussion. I guess I have not figured out how the screw would now be binding?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Can't really happen, especially if you're simply re-tightening the (assumed unbroken) factory-original screw that was already in the gun and working properly before it backed itself out slightly.

The overall length of the screw is such that the tip of the screw sticks out just far enough to engage the stop, but not far enough to touch the actual body of the ejector.

Even when the screw is fully tightened, the Ejector slides back and forth freely in its slot.

Additionally, it's almost impossible to over-tighten this screw. From the factory, they're often super-tight, and sometimes difficult to remove at all, especially on some of the more recent (Gen 2) BT-99s. I believe the factory polishes the side of the monobloc with the screw already inserted . . . i.e., the head of the screw is "finished over" during final fitting and assembly to ensure that with the screw fully tightened, its head is exactly flush with the side of the monobloc. If the screw somehow loosens itself and the head sticks out far enough (it doesn't take much), you won't even be able to close the barrel. The head of the screw must be flush with the side of the monobloc as I mentioned earlier.
Hi Jeff,

Looks like the screw seats on the back side of the head. If the head has been modified or the recess deepened, I suppose the screw could touch the ejector. As you mentioned, looking at the full res photo the finish marks can clearly be seen on the screw head. if they don't line up with those on the block when the screw is tight, something is amiss.

Charlie,

If you install the screw without installing the ejector, does the head go below the surface of the block at all?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good questions, I'll check on it this weekend. Unfortunately, work gets in the way of shooting sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got time to check out the gun. I had inserted the screw correctly, the ejector didn't seem smooth with the barrel off. However, even with the screw tight, when the gun is assembled, it ejects normally. I used some Blue Loctite on the screw, I believe it will work. Not exactly my field of expertise, we'll see.
Thanks to my shooting colleagues for their advice and diagrams.

Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts