Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my grand daughter a BT 99 Micro Midas, they only come with standard stock. It patterns about 80 / 20 I would like to get it down to around 60 /40 Any ideas. I thought maybe adjustable add a rib to raise the back and lower the front. but then it has a standard but stock. Thought also higher front bead, maybe around 1/32 -1/16 of inch higher if there is such a thing.
I know I will get a few trolls on her saying I should buy a K gun or P gun or another big name gun. But she is just starting.
One idea I was just thinking of while typing this was a magnetic High viz front site, it might give me enough hight to lower pattern a little.
Any ideas or thoughts would greatly Aprreciated.

Thanks Everyone

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
It patterns 80/20 with her shooting it or you? I would think if you put on a taller front bead, then you might run into an issue of her "bead" checking prior to pulling the trigger.

I would say to have her shoot it on the patterning board and let her see the results. Then set the machine to straight aways and on post 3 let her experiment with the new POI and get used to it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done both already Dustdevil. that is how I know her pattern is 80/20. wanted to bring it down a bit even 70/30. It has a 30 inch barrel and only one choke an improved mod, I might put a mod choke in. I have a couple of Mullers also a U2 and a U3 might have her pattern those and see if can open pattern a little more. I have a couple of vids of her shooting, first time out on stand 3 trap looked straight she got 8 out of 24 which I thought was pretty good. then the next 2 times she was on stand 3 I let the trap cycle and she shoot 4 out of 25 and a 5 out of 25, which wasnt bad, wanted to give her an idea on how they are going to be random. Next will be back to 3 and straight aways.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
I recently purchased the same gun for my young grandson. I placed an extra piece of rib in front of the bead along with a large white bead they call a grandpa bead. It now shoots 60/40 where he touches the bottom of the target. I attached the two inch extra piece of rib in front of the bead that comes with the gun with two sided tape. Works really well and easy to take off and does not blemish the gun.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin (p. s. Most gunsmith have extra pieces of rib laying around their shop).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did the gunsmith have to drill and tap the new piece of rib ss? sounds like a good easy fix. And you left the old bead on correct? so is the new bead bigger in diameter or just higher than the old one? If you could post a pic or email me one that would be awesome. Thank you

Reactions: CReddy

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Tat2Bruce:
The gunsmith asked me if I wanted the new piece of rib permanently attached to the existing rib and I said no? I did not want to ruin the value of the gun. What he decided to do was place industrial strength Velcro to the existing rib and to the underside of the piece of two inch rib. It won't come off unless you want it to come off and it won't devalue the gun. He added the so called white "Grandpa Bead" which is higher and bigger than the standard bead to the new rib. You can also have the middle bead taken off if you would like but I kept it on the gun.

My grandson had to see a foot of daylight under the target before we added the new piece of rib and bead. Now he touches the new bead under the target and has garbage cans lids of smoke. The gun is now a smoke pole. I no longer have a camera to show you photos. All total with the Velcro, the piece of rib, the bead, it cost me $20.00. When your grand daughter get's more targets under her belt eventually you can just take the piece of rib off the old rib.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
My daughter has same gun and it was an 80/20 also, I ended up shorting up the stock and put an adjustable Gra-coil in it with a comb after everything was done now it shoots a 60/40 and is way more enjoyable for her to shoot with the recoil reducer

·
Registered
834 Posts
My wife could not shoot hers. I thought it would have been a great first gun, but traded it for a Crossover, her scores went up by 7 birds first time out. Then came the Perazzi, and now a Ljutic. I have created a monster!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife could not shoot hers. I thought it would have been a great first gun, but traded it for a Crossover, her scores went up by 7 birds first time out. Then came the Perazzi, and now a Ljutic. I have created a monster!!!!
LOL its addicting for sure!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well what I ended up doing was,I took a hi viz magnetic site base, cut all the loops off the top that holds the neon color tubes. Then I drilled out a hole in one end and screwed in a similar style front bead, which raised it approx. 1/16th of an inch. Granddaughter shot one round with it and went from a high of 10 to a 14. After a few more rounds with this site I will report back with results. What I like about it is that I can remove it and it doesnt alter the gun or the rib.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A bit late to the party I know, but I had a similar problem with an older BT that I bought for my wife. It was shooting VERY high...conforming this on targets as well as the patterning board. I went the add on rib route. I started with a 3/8 x 3/8 piece of wood that I got at the home store, cut to length, tapered at the rear, a high vis spark sight glued into a hole I drilled at the muzzle. I sprayed it black, and used electrical tape to affix it for "testing". It worked like a charm, adding height to the front (bead), while keeping the rear (comb/eye) constant. After deciding it was a keeper, I had someone on this site make an aluminum vented add-on rib (3/8" high) that I affixed with double sided automotive molding tape. I drilled out a hole in the bottom so I could just place this rib over the staked mid rib bead, and removed the front bead. It's been probably 7 or 8 years since I made this modification, it has not moved, and I have had my wife as well as 2 sons use this set up with positive results.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts