Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the wood from the forend iron on an older BT? I have removed the 3 screws and the latch from the bottom, but the wood doesn't want to come away from the metal. I haven't tried too hard as I don't want to damage anything.

Also what is the age of this one? The serial No.is 37D2XXX, not 73D. I tried the Browning web site but couldn't figure out anything.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
That long screw in the front of the forend has a very thin slot in it if I remember correctly so make sure you use a hollow ground screwdriver like one of Brownell's so as not to damage the slot. Beyond that it just may be that the steel is very tightly inletted into the wood, so be gentle.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for pulling my head out. I hadn't realized there was a bolt in the front end. Took out the bolt and now I can move the wood about 5/16" and then it feels like it hits something solid. What now?

Thanks again,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately I have the correct screwdriver. The wood slides away from the metal about 5/16" and then stops moving. I used a small plastic mallet and a piece of wooden dowel and tried tapping on the metal, but it still will not move. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The front of the forend iron needs to be raised a little for it to continue. Sometimes they like to be a little sticky.

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raised it slightly with a small screwdriver and it came right out. Thank you all for your help on my 1973 BT99.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.