Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recent problem with a BT99 not reliably striking the primer hard enough for it to fire....about 7 shots per round are light strikes. Ammo is factory stuff. I removed the stock and inspected the action, nothing was broken...it wasn't dirty, but I cleaned it just the same and the problem still persists. Any thoughts...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
To get the firing pin out of the receiver, you'll need to purchase a bushing tool. The firing pin is held in place with a bushing in the face of the receiver.

Doug

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the bushing tool from Brownell's.

Gold de (or anyone for that matter): What is the trick to removing the hammer spring. It sure looks like it is under considerable pressure.

gbt2

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the bushing tool from Brownell's.

Gold de (or anyone for that matter): What is the trick to removing the hammer spring. It sure looks like it is under considerable pressure.

gbt2

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
Factory stuff...........could be anything. There is another thread here stating that Gun Clubs had steel cups for a while, causing a lot of problems.

Maybe your problem is ammo.

HM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you remove the trigger housing make sure the hammer is cocked or the spring will launch into orbit.

I have the bushing tool but have never used it. The bushing could be in as tight as my top lever dog screw. I had to lock the receiver into a drill press against the screwdriver bit, put a wrench on the bit then smack the wrench with a hammer. You can get replacement pins for the ones you will probably break on the bushing tool.

Please post the results

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I put a whole can of carburetor cleaner through the firing pin hole and in the action accompanied by compressed air. I shot 50 rounds through it without a single light strike. When my bushing tool comes I am going to see if I can get the bushing removed and clean it out more thoroughly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

gbt2

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
After using the carb cleaner, be sure to give it a light coating of lightweight gun oil because the carb cleaner will remove all the oil/grease.

Easystreet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.