Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy s BT-99 and want it to be adjustable. Some post say the Browning set-up isn’t very good. Should I buy without and send the gun out for modifications? Where would you send it? What is approximate cost?

Is there a better time of year to buy a BT?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi I had the browning system on an XT and did not like it. I would buy a non adjustable stock and send it to Tron!
Good luck zack h

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently purchased a 80/20 BT99 from Guns Unlimited. I got the Gracoil comb model. I am happy with the gun, the comb hardware is more secure than the Brownings I have had from the factory, GU was a fine company to deal with, their customer service was great!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I have a brand new BT with adjustable comb and buttplate. I’ve heard the junk stories, but the hardware on mine locks up tight. I have no issues with it. As far as when to buy, I think now and next month are good times, because dealers are clearing out inventories prior to tax time and not a lot of shooting going on in the off season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For new BT, I don't like browning setup...there are lots old BT on the market. If you want to buy new, you can try to get Cabelas gift card (you should be able to get 15~20% off for gift card) and wait for Cabelas sale event and/or browning rebate to get a super good price...however, targets and ammo always cost much much more than your gun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
They do not use Gracoil on the "Plus" model. I have a 2018 model with the Browning hardware and locks up tight. Tron is the one to go to for adjustable combs and butt-pads though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yes, the new hardware on the BT-99 with adjustable comb and pad have the Graco type hardware. The posts out the back of the stock were the problematic system. Also, that system made it difficult without some alteration to the plates, or the post to put an adjustable pad on the stock, to allow movement of the plate. This also created problems when installing a collapsing recoil reducing type system.

Browning finally did something to replace their failure, they offered the improved fully adjustable BT-99 with good proven private manufactured hardware.

BT-99 with Adjustable Buttplate & Comb

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I recently purchased a 80/20 BT99 from Guns Unlimited. I got the Gracoil comb model. I am happy with the gun, the comb hardware is more secure than the Brownings I have had from the factory, GU was a fine company to deal with, their customer service was great!
I also bought my adjustable BT from Guns Unlimited. Great looking gun and superior customer service from Craig and crew.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It sounds like the two common thoughts here are:

Buy a non-adjustable and send to Tron OR
Buy a NEW BT with the Garcoil system already installed

The choice is up to you.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Of the two: factory installed Gracoil system first. But, do not hesitate should you find a BT 99 with a non adjustable comb that you like, then to ship it to Tron for modification. Either case is fine.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If you happen to have the inferior thru the pad comb adjuster, don't get upset. You can buy replacement hardware and with a few simple tools you can replace it in less than ten minutes. Unless you are stoonade? Joe

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you happen to have the inferior thru the pad comb adjuster, don't get upset. You can buy replacement hardware and with a few simple tools you can replace it in less than ten minutes. Unless you are stoonade? Joe
This is what I did. I just replaced the Browning hardware on my 725 with SPS hardware and all is good.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I sent my BT99 34" to Tron he is going to install a brass hardware 4 way adjustable comb kit and the Gracoil unit with pad, he is also going power coat the Gracoil Black to make it look nicer. All this work is around 800 and I picked up my BT99 for 1130 shipped. I think this will be a good trap gun. I also picked up the Briley extended choke tubes in full and improved modified. I shot both at 13 yards and both shot about 3" high. Can't wait till I get the kits set to my form.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts