Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would a 30 inch Browning XT trap gun work for sporting clays? Would it be too heavy and not be fluid?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
When the Browning XT first came out around 1996 it became more popular for sporting clays than trap.
I shot one for sporting clays for six years until I switched to a Beretta auto. The 30" is the perfect barrel length because Browning barrels are heavy and the 32" makes the gun nose heavy. The gun will shoot about 60/40 which is perfect for sporting clays.

If you look at the current Krieghoff, Kolar, Blaser, etc. sporting clays guns you will see the straighter stocks-some Monte Carlo-and taller ribs, all similar to the Browning XT.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
Actually, it should work out pretty good. Time at the patterning board checking the POI would be time well spent. Most Sporting Clays shooters prefer a lower POI than Trap shooters, usually 50/50 or 60/40...but, that's a matter of preferences.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You could trade it to me for my Special edition Sporting Clay gun,28" ported barrels ,and then not worry about it.LOL

Doug H.(pa)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
With a 30 inch barrel, it should be very good for SC.. I tried my 32 inch XT and it was too slow and "clubby" for SC. Went to a 30 inch 725 Sporting ---- AAHHHH! Perfect!

John

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
I 2nd using XT, great gun.

Charlie

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used my 32" XT for sporting clays to good effect, then someone convinced me I needed a lighter/livelier gun. So, I bought a "lighter/livelier gun" and sold my XT.

No improvement noted.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
274 Posts
I want a new gun but when ever I use my xt for trap,Skeet or sporting I ask myself why. I wish I had 30" barrels instead of 32". Merry Xmas Mike

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I love my 32 GTIs but when the targets are far, high and fast I score best when I use my trap 682E 32" ..so I'm sure the 32 XT would be aces..give it time and you'll be glad you did

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Excellent choice. With variable comb settings can be used for all 3 trap events and sporting clays.

However......I agree with benschott.....why miss an excuse/reason/opportunity to buy another shotgun????? In my opinion, it's a must buy situation!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Two inches of one 12 gauge shotgun barrel will weigh approximately one ounce. Since an O/U has two barrels, that makes two ounces for the extra 2" of length. Now add a little more for the 2" longer top rib and you have more than two ounces.

In addition to the extra 2+ ounces of weight, you are extending the fat muzzle (which contains the choke tubes) two inches farther from the balance point. This increases the moment of inertia and makes it harder to get the barrels moving or to get them stopped if they are already moving.

If you don't think that 2+ additional ounces on the end of your barrels makes a difference, then you should tape a couple of loaded 28 gauge shells or other similar (2 ounce) weight to the muzzle of your gun and swing it around a few times. I guarantee you'll notice a difference.

Easystreet

·
Registered
469 Posts
I won my class at the us open shooting my xt 32" and the state shoot. I loved it. Don't know why I ever sold it. Actually I sold it because of recoil and a neck injury I had. Lee

·
Registered
107 Posts
I shoot my 30 XT for Sporting Clays and Skeet no problem. It, for me, shoots very flat. I actually raise the comb to shoot trap with it.

Bill Myers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts