Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and determined the POI on my XT Combo today. I set up at 13 yards. As it turned out the O/U barrels are 60/40 and the top single is 70/30. Is that standard for most XT Combos?

By the way I patterned a Briely Extended Full choke and a Browning Midas Grade extended Full choke. The Briley had a 1 inch tighter pattern at 13 yards. But, they both had the same POI.

Rod

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm wondering why 13 yards as well. Also, I can almost assure you both barrels on the O/U do not have the same POI. There are a few ways to determine POI depending on whether or not you have an adjustable rib. I do not know if the single barrel has an adjustable rib or not, I know the O/U does not. When patterning your gun the most accurate measures are 30 to 40 yards using a 30" circle. I have a Cynergy Classic Trap (almost the same gun), using the the above measurements, the POI's for my O/U are 60/40 for the top and 75/25 for the bottom using Briley full chokes. A gunsmith at Browning stated those are nearly exact OE numbers (60/40 top, 70/30 bottom) they try to produce on the trap models.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
POI is best done at 13yds as per Neil Winston and several others. Patterning is best done at breaking distance. There is a difference between the two.

ss

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shot the POI off a bench rest. I shot three shots with each barrel using the same choke tube in each barrel. The pattern was very close to 12 inches on each of the nine shots. There were a few "flyer" pellets as well, so I used a tape measure to cover the most holes to determine the center. The POI of impact was remarkably close on the three shots from the same barrel. My main reason for this whole process was to determine how much higher the single barrel shot compared to the O/U barrels.

I had the Browning and Briley extended tubes in full, so I decided to shoot each one at 13 yards just to see if there was difference. The Browning full choke was 12 inches and the Briley was 11 inches. I know one shot does not give a good representation, but the purpose of the trip was to determine POI not pattern it. I did pattern the gun in late summer at 39 yards. You may ask how you came up with 39 yards. I measured from the 16 yard line to the distance I was breaking targets and it was 39 yards. So, I shot at the patterning board at our gun club. I generally shoot an Improved Modified or Full Choke. I found using a tighter choke made me more precise in my shooting and I like the dust.

Rod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.