Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Fi

I’m new to the forum and recently got addicted to trap shooting (seemed like the only socially distant sport I could find). I’m now finding myself addicted to shotguns.

I came across a Twelvette in green here in Alberta for a great price and I’ve been trying to clean it up. I get the impression the last owner rarely if ever gave it a cleaning.

I’ve read a lot of the posts here and watched the video but I’m still stuck. I can’t seem to get the barrel off the receiver. I’ve managed to get the forearm off, but can’t detach the barrel. I’ve used Kroil and everything I can think of short of hitting everything with a hammer

It seems all the DA experts are here so I’m hoping someone can suggest what I’m doing wrong. Can anyone help out a noob?

Big thanks regardless to Dbl Auto for the video. Wouldn’t even have made it this far without that.

Thanks!

· Registered
78 Posts
I have a Double Automatic Twenty Weight that at times stubbornly refuses to release the barrel. Repeatedly opening and closing the arm forearm latch followed by tugging/twisting the barrel eventually works. The intermittent hang up appears to be within the latch. I can sense that the release (internal “click”) feels slightly less bound up. Patience, sometimes requiring four or five attempts, is required.

· Registered
2,012 Posts
Akbarstrap, you don't take the forend off to remove the barrel. It stays on the gun and the rear pivots down. You should hear two clicks that release it. You may need to compress the barrel slightly to get it to release. Place the muzzle on some carpet and push. The barrel should move reward a little. Pull the forend down and get 2 clicks. Please note that if the barrel is released, now it is under tension. Carefully, release the downward pressure on the muzzle and make sure the barrel doesn't come off the gun recklessly.

The green Double Auto is my favorite color. I would take care in using Kroil on the green anodized metal or other hash solvents.

You have a gem. Can we see some pics?

Thanks

Doug

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dbl Auto/Doug!
I tried what you suggested and I must still be doing something wrong as it’s still stuck. There is some slight play where it meets the receiver so I’m guessing the issue is with the latch. Maybe I should stop before I break something and just take it to a gunsmith...

I attached a couple pictures - I bought it as a project gun and did a bit of refinishing. Not quite done yet - hopefully I haven’t made it look terrible.

This is the posting on the store site (forgot to get a before pic):
Shotgun Surgical instrument

Here’s where I’m at now:

Gun Shotgun

· Registered
2,012 Posts
** is modified choke. You have a very nice field gun. It is in just the shape I like to find my Double Autos. Very, very nice, but with enough wear that it can be loving used in the field.

Put some solvent in the area that I showed. Hopefully it will free up. Make sure to pull the forend down to get 2 clicks.

Doug

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Doug, you were right it was that bar that was the problem. It was gummed right up. I ended up taking it to a friend who has serviced many guns and he managed to knock it out, and clean it right up. The barrel slides right out now!

He even gave me a copy of what looks like a scan of the original manual. I’m sure you probably have an actual copy, but if not, let me know. I’d be happy to post it as a thanks to the forum for the advice.

Here’s a picture of the cover:

Not sure if it’s common, but it’s pretty cool to me.

Thanks again for all the help to you and the forum!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Doug,

What are your thoughts on the Twelvette with a Cutts choke? Was that an aftermarket add on? Does it significantly decrease the value? Just looking at another in black... Thanks for any input and Merry Christmas!

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Hey Doug,

What are your thoughts on the Twelvette with a Cutts choke? Was that an aftermarket add on? Does it significantly decrease the value? Just looking at another in black... Thanks for any input and Merry Christmas!

I am not a expert on Doubleautos by any means but a Cutts would have been aftermarket. Just like Classic Cars any modification post factory would decrease the value to a collector. But if your are shooting it and with the relative value of older field guns my take is buy what you like.

· Registered
831 Posts
Hi!

Fi

I’m new to the forum and recently got addicted to trap shooting (seemed like the only socially distant sport I could find). I’m now finding myself addicted to shotguns.

I came across a Twelvette in green here in Alberta for a great price and I’ve been trying to clean it up. I get the impression the last owner rarely if ever gave it a cleaning.

I’ve read a lot of the posts here and watched the video but I’m still stuck. I can’t seem to get the barrel off the receiver. I’ve managed to get the forearm off, but can’t detach the barrel. I’ve used Kroil and everything I can think of short of hitting everything with a hammer

It seems all the DA experts are here so I’m hoping someone can suggest what I’m doing wrong. Can anyone help out a noob?

Big thanks regardless to Dbl Auto for the video. Wouldn’t even have made it this far without that.

Thanks!
Listen to what Dbl. Auto tells you. He knows what he is talking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.