Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A young friend of mine wants to buy a quail gun. Found used gun Browning 28 inch,20 gauge, fixed chokes , both skeet. Can this gun have Briley chokes? Resale value?

·
Registered
661 Posts
He'd be better off to start with a Browning with choke tubes. Then he can have a versatile gun. Not worth it to pay to have it choke tubed. A 12ga can be down-loaded if needed. Some 20ga field loads can recoil as much as a 12ga. Easy to change LOP as he ages. Gun fit is important to shoot well and enjoy the gun. Good hunting! Bob

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Almost certainly Briley can thinwall it. It won't be cheap though, $429 to thread both barrels including 5 flush chokes. Plus shipping there and back, so call it $500 for a round number.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I agree, 20 gauge with skeet chokes is fine for quail. I also wouldn't open up a factory 20 gauge skeet in 28 inches, those are getting harder to find. JMO.

Why not a 20 gauge 1100 or 1187 with Rem-Chokes? A lot cheaper than a Browning Skeet. Recoil will be less too. A friend of mine found an old Winchester 1400 IC in a garage sale for $150. He takes more quail than any of us that hunt together. And is not worried about any scratches or rain.

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts