Trapshooters Forum banner

Browning sends me a broken gun back.

7K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  SecondChance 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, here l am. Anxiously awaiting my Browning XT Trap to come back so l can shoot it again. Well, GLORY BE, IT ARRIVES!!! God's of thunder are sounding the horns, sounds like cannon fire!!
I open the box, not hardly a make on outside box, Looking good!!!! Open inside box, unwrap bubble wrapped barrel n forearm and then the stock. Remove forearm from barrels, place barrel into receiver, look at forearm, and see a diagonial crack about 3 inches long on left side!!!!! I about chit myself!!!! I pick up the forearm and the chip/cracked part falls off in my hand!!!
I go into my pics of the gun when l shipped it to confirm l had no cracks. None. Have wife look at pics, nope.
So l call Browning. Guy at customer service says they don't send out broken guns, l said you did this time!! He said if they broke it, they would have let me know and fixed it. I told him my arse and l have pics dated 11-27-2020 that prove the forearm was not cracked nor broke.
So he says to ship everything back, they are sending me a label to ship back. So l guess it will be next year before l get it back and who knows what this is going to cost me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh, the lyin’ n denying is bout to start. Magically it won’t be Browning or the shippers fault. Those photos are gonna be your best defense. Keep calm as best you can and just hammer away at them every chance you get.

#5 ·
Maybe. We shall see what Browning says. The boxes are prestine, so l doubt it happened in transit. I know for a fact it didn't go to them like that.

#7 ·
Thats crazy!!! I may be contacting you in regards to this depending on what they say. Hell, it took them 6mo to fix a pin under the barrels and then some other pin they said had to be drilled out, welded back and then silver nitride coated again. $250.

#6 ·
Not a hard repair to make. I've done a few with epoxy resin, wet and dry paper and wax to polish over and fill the crack.

or get a new FE.

Either way, from what I read on here will be WAY quicker than waiting for Browning to a) accept responsibility b) repair it appropriately.

It could happen in transit, too. One of ours got broken in a similar place by baggage handlers despite being in a tough case.

#11 ·
Any possibility it was broken in transit after Browning shipped it?

I would file a claim with the carrier.

#12 ·
Had a friend send in a 725 for trigger work. Browning said they received the gun but the forend wood was broke just like that when they received it. Eventually they agreed to replace it. Same as yours, not a mark on the box externally.

Reactions: SecondChance
#14 ·
Thanks guys. Great replys and food for thought. I am not THAT talented/gifted to fix it myself back to factory quality. Old-Lefty, l will surely store that idea back for maybe future refrence!!

#17 ·
It does look like there were some nicks on the wood in that area. Were those white nicks there before you sent it?

Brownings finish will turn white when it separates from the wood. It looks also like the crack developed right on one of those marks. Unfortunately, it does not take much impact to crack that area on any guns when the grain is running on a angle as it is. I would have to think that this happened in shipping, and not before Browning sent it. Way to big of a company to take that risk on reputation. I think they would take care of it, but that may be 2-3 months out, unfortunately.

#18 ·
Yes KS-5, it had a few nicks from previous owner. And l HATE how Brownings get that white mark when the finish is dinged.
So Tron, what say ye ole wise man of wood?

#20 ·
There has been a squire sent to summons the Tron Royalty to hear of this great troubling times in the lower lands of the broken shooting iron fields!!!

#21 ·
TRON to busy.. No wood repair.Business can find competent help... you old duffer are going to have to help this country Back to Work.To many Biden bucks sent out, young people work why bother. Fix the problem and move on or ask your local wood worker/ craftsman for Help brother.

#23 ·
I just found some brand new ones on a website suggested to me by Tron. We spoke the other day and he told me if wasn't so back logged he would help me out. He gave me some great places to look and sure enough they had them. Now I'm deciding whether it's worth my time n aggravation to deal with Browning or just buy a new forearm and sell the gun afterwards.

#27 ·
View attachment 1752009 Well, here l am. Anxiously awaiting my Browning XT Trap to come back so l can shoot it again. Well, GLORY BE, IT ARRIVES!!! God's of thunder are sounding the horns, sounds like cannon fire!!
I open the box, not hardly a make on outside box, Looking good!!!! Open inside box, unwrap bubble wrapped barrel n forearm and then the stock. Remove forearm from barrels, place barrel into receiver, look at forearm, and see a diagonial crack about 3 inches long on left side!!!!! I about chit myself!!!! I pick up the forearm and the chip/cracked part falls off in my hand!!!
I go into my pics of the gun when l shipped it to confirm l had no cracks. None. Have wife look at pics, nope.
So l call Browning. Guy at customer service says they don't send out broken guns, l said you did this time!! He said if they broke it, they would have let me know and fixed it. I told him my arse and l have pics dated 11-27-2020 that prove the forearm was not cracked nor broke.
So he says to ship everything back, they are sending me a label to ship back. So l guess it will be next year before l get it back and who knows what this is going to cost me.
I’ve had the same issue my 725 pro trap was back to browning for warranty work so it was insured by them the shipper is the problem UPS is who they use and they throw packages around . Mine was broke twice by UPS till I finally got it back in one piece I sent it in early January came home broke just before I went to spring grand i did get back in one piece by may 1st. luckily I own two of these guns !

#29 ·
Sad to say, welcome to the Browning Broken Part Club!!! SUCKS!!!! Hopefully you are able to get it resolved and move on back to shooting it again. I was able to get Browning to fix mine under warranty by advising them with pics of ALL parts prior to shipping and upon receival, to include both boxes, it was their fault. I shipped it all back with pics galore again, to receive my gun BACK AGAIN, after nearly 9 months gone, to finally have it home in 1 whole functional, unbroken, piece again.

#30 ·
I had a new browning xt trap when they first came out, shot it for about 8 months. Then the stock cracked in bottom part where receiver meets wood , the rounded piece. Called browning, they said to send it in, I did send the gun. 7 months later they notified me they're sending the gun back, they used epoxy to repair stock, then refinished it. 7 months for a glue job on a 3500 dollar gun.

#31 ·
Man, that blows. I know they replaced mine for it has a different serial number inside the forearm. Nice part, they fixed my delima of how to get the old one refinished for it had several nick/dents in it and l really didn't like those white marks from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.