Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this DU model 12 28 ga Browning as a project. Whoever owned it used as a some kind of door stop I guess. It has what looks like rust on top edges of the receiver. If it gets reblued do the gold chickens turn a different shade ? Will cerakote fill in the engraving ? I tried using hopped to remove the rust. Didn't do much. The rag had very little color. Can't really feel the marks, it looks worse than it feels. Not in any hurry just throwing it out there for ideas , if someone has had a similar gun refinished. I have somebody who can refinish the wood.
Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Try one of these with a bit of oil. If you use it as instructed, it will not hurt the bluing. However, you would have to be careful around any inlays. I have used it in several areas and been very satisfied with the results. Good luck.

BTW, I have no vested interest in the product or company.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ooof! That is really a badly scratched receiver even after the rust is removed. I think you could safely remove the rust but the scratches and areas lacking bluing are going to still be present. I don't see how that is anything to be fixed via a DIY project. It looks to me like someone already tried to remove some of the rust and ended up scratching the heck out of the surrounding metal.

IMO, the best bet is to have a pro look it over but I suspect the cost will be quite high to make it like new. With that information, you would then be more able to determine if it is worth the added investment. Too bad that someone was so neglectful & careless. Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The receiver is a silver finish. Not sure what type. The scratches and rust appear larger in the pics. No pitting.
Steve

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whoever owned that gun prior to you is a total jackass. Those DU 28ga bps shotguns are really nice imho. Too nice to let that happen to it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a model 12 Browning. I got it a Jaquas. It functions fine. I knew what it looked like just figured it could be refinished. Even if it's cerakoted and the gold goes away. Has nice wood, no cracks.
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts