Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29,587 Posts

The quote you posted is by someone unfamiliar with, never saw or held the particular firearm, probably a gun magazine writer. The RecoilLess is a single shot bolt action trapgun, I have owned four of them at one time. It is not a "semi-auto" shotgun.

IMG_2242.JPG

The bolt does not move, once it is turned and locked, just like any bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The quote you posted is by someone unfamiliar with, never saw or held the particular firearm, probably a gun magazine writer. The RecoilLess is a single shot bolt action trapgun, I have owned four of them at one time. It is not a "semi-auto" shotgun.

View attachment 1093977

The bolt does not move, once it is turned and locked, just like any bolt action rifle.

As you can see I am not familiar with the gun...
Do you use the bolt to open, load and cock the gun?
I read something about using the front stock like a bb gun.
mike

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
The cocking of the recoil less action is done by the fore arm, much like cocking a BB rifle, but it only has to be done once. Every time the gun is fired, the action is reset.

The trigger and firing pin is reset every time the bolt is opened and reclosed, just like a rifle, which is done every time a fired shell is removed and a new once inserted. When not in use, I pull the trigger which releases the spring of the recoiling system and the firing pin or striker.

A lot of people knocked the trigger and handling of these guns, but I never had a bad trigger on any of mine, they let go at about 3-3.5 lbs.

The handling of the 30 inch barrel was muzzle heavy, and when shot as it was supposed to be shot, the muzzle heavy feel momentum helped the follow through swing.

The shorter 27 inch gun was better balanced and what I consider was the better of the two guns. Even though the barrel was short, the extra long receiver gives a long sighting plane, much like a 32-33 inch barrel does. The 27 also was available with a micro stock.

Only problem I and others had with the gun was the flaw of the fore arm cracking because the wood was thin and too much force was used closing the forearm against the barrel.

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
It is still a heck of a gun. Browning made it's usual marketing mistake of coming out with something new and giving up on it instead of refining it to make it a better commodity to market. Every once in a while when I get that tinge in my shoulder, I drag my Recoil Less out of the safe and fire a couple hundred rounds through it. I am trying out a left hand Fabarm Velocity XLR 5 to shoot doubles, but it is still not as soft a shooter as the Browning. Next I am trying the Beretta UGB25 Excel. I have shot one of these and while still not as soft as the Browning it is pretty close.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is still a heck of a gun. Browning made it's usual marketing mistake of coming out with something new and giving up on it instead of refining it to make it a better commodity to market. Every once in a while when I get that tinge in my shoulder, I drag my Recoil Less out of the safe and fire a couple hundred rounds through it. I am trying out a left hand Fabarm Velocity XLR 5 to shoot doubles, but it is still not as soft a shooter as the Browning. Next I am trying the Beretta UGB25 Excel. I have shot one of these and while still not as soft as the Browning it is pretty close.
The reason I have an interest in the recoilless is because a friend of mine just purchased the Beretta UGB25...so I want something different and not copy him!
He and I shot registered doubles a couple of weeks ago and he had only shot the beretta for the first time the day be fore and he shot it really well..especially compared to how how he'd been shooting with his tried and trued regular doubles gun.
He will probably read this and chime in.
mike

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Did anyone ever make a release trigger for the Recoilless?

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
IMG_2243.PNG

This is a diagram of the Recoil Less. It has no hammer, only a striker firing pin that works like any bolt action rifle. The bolt was made up of all items between item 10 on the right and item 11 on the left. The trigger is made up of parts 3, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, and 90. I have never heard of anyone making a release for it, but I suppose it is possible.

This gun was not designed to be taken apart. The trigger dropped out by removing the two screws, (items 3) which you cleaned and oiled and that was it. You could remove the stock, the choke tube, but that was it. I cleaned mine using a bore snake which I ran through the bolt opening, dropped the cord through the barrel, stood on the cord and pulled the gun upward, which pulled the snake out to the muzzle.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I had an UGB25 for a couple years, put about 20k rounds through it with a Wenig stock on it. I loved shooting it and only sold it to pay for the next gun that I was jonesing for.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts