Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tapped the hole and installed a screw in bead, and if so what size, thanks for any responses

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Has anyone ever tapped the hole and installed a screw in bead, and if so what size, thanks for any responses
Steve, what happened? Did you knock the old one off?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
no John it's still in the rib was just curious incase it ever falls out or breaks
Steve, I don't think that's something to worry about. The one on my gun has been there for 48 years.

Reactions: SteveS1965

·
Vendor
1,489 Posts
Hi Steve, Get the white part out of the midbead out then get the sleve out the white part was in.

Get the sleve out by using a small drill bit (approximately a number 51 or 52) turning in the drill motor the standard drilling rotation. The drill bit will grab the sleve and bring the sleve right out.

The hole in the rib can now be tapped to 3-56.

Install the new 3-56 midbead with blue locktite.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Yes, I have. I have replace most of mine. I like brass.
Brownell's has a tap for them. I believe it's a 3 by 56 and they have the inserts.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Hi Steve, Get the white part out of the midbead out then get the sleve out the white part was in.

Get the sleve out by using a small drill bit (approximately a number 51 or 52) turning in the drill motor the standard drilling rotation. The drill bit will grab the sleve and bring the sleve right out.

The hole in the rib can now be tapped to 3-56.

Install the new 3-56 midbead with blue locktite.
Very sound advice from someone who knows. However, most people are not equipped to drill a hole with a 0.067” diameter drill bit much less tap a 3-56 thread. If your drill chuck has any run out at all it’s a recipe for disaster.

no disrespect intended.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Yes, I have done many. The one most requested is the .067" bead. It is threaded 3-56, takes a #45 drill (.086"). I use the 262 LOCTITE (red) as it is something you would normally never take out but would most probably have to drill out anyway if the bead was knocked off. The hole I drill to install the tapered mid bead is a # 43 drill (.089") so if you are replacing the tapered bead with a threaded one you would most likely only have to clean out the hole with a drill bit then tap it. I highly recommend using a drill press for doing this job although some are pretty skilled with a drill motor. Hope this helps. Regards, Bob
Mid Bead.JPG

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Not that I know of. I just didn't go into a lot of detail.
Grntitan out lined some of the issues, and smithy gave a good description.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts