Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of threads on the PFS and Gracoil stocks but would still like to hear some opinions regarding my situation. My 16 year old son is shooting a BT-99 and I'm looking to find an O/U or combo that would allow him to shoot doubles, bunker, and maybe some skeet or sporting clays.

He needs to have the adjustable stock option since all of my shotguns leave a bruise on his cheek. We'll need to do some tweaking to fix that problem.

I'm considering the Browning CXT with PFS offered by Target Shotguns, Inc. or one of the exclusives offered by Guns Unlimited with a Gracoil system and adjustable comb. There are lots of Brownings offered by GU with a broad range in price. I'm open to all of them but I don't know the pros and cons of all the different guns they have available.

An adjustable rib would be nice but as long as a fixed rib shoots around 60/40 or 70/30 (similar to the BT we have) that would be fine.

Any thoughts on the PFS vs. the Gracoil or which GU Browning would best fit the situation?

BTW...I know...shoot them all and see what you works for you! Unfortunately, I can't find a place less than a plane ride away where we can demo anything. I'm thinking with the adjustability of the two stocks in question we should be able to find a set up that works.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,245 Posts
I've read lots of threads on the PFS and Gracoil stocks but would still like to hear some opinions regarding my situation. My 16 year old son is shooting a BT-99 and I'm looking to find an O/U or combo that would allow him to shoot doubles, bunker, and maybe some skeet or sporting clays.

He needs to have the adjustable stock option since all of my shotguns leave a bruise on his cheek. We'll need to do some tweaking to fix that problem.

I'm considering the Browning CXT with PFS offered by Target Shotguns, Inc. or one of the exclusives offered by Guns Unlimited with a Gracoil system and adjustable comb. There are lots of Brownings offered by GU with a broad range in price. I'm open to all of them but I don't know the pros and cons of all the different guns they have available.

An adjustable rib would be nice but as long as a fixed rib shoots around 60/40 or 70/30 (similar to the BT we have) that would be fine.

Any thoughts on the PFS vs. the Gracoil or which GU Browning would best fit the situation?

BTW...I know...shoot them all and see what you works for you! Unfortunately, I can't find a place less than a plane ride away where we can demo anything. I'm thinking with the adjustability of the two stocks in question we should be able to find a set up that works.
You are going to have better recoil reduction, fit and adjustability overall with a PFS. But the guns from GU are nice.

I would caution trying to get one gun to do everything. It can be done. But what you may end up with is a gun that is ok for 3 disciplines instead of one that is great for each.

Overall, if it fits, it shouldn’t hurt him and should shoot where he is looking.

Edit: where do you live? Posting that may help you find someone who is willing to let you demo a stock.

·
Registered
316 Posts
PFS and Gracoil are very different animals, I have both, and I prefer the PFS for adjust ability. The Gracoil it hard to adjust at least mine is because the pad has to come off. I just put the PFS back on my 682 which I will use for doubles specifically for the adjustments, the wood stock with the Gracoil can't be adjusted flat enough and I don't want to buy an another add a rib. My shooting buddy has a BT99 with an Add-A-Rib and a PFS stock. When he can keeps his head in the game he smokes targets and doesn't miss many.
PFS and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,245 Posts
We live in western TN, close to Memphis.

Can the PFS be used on other guns? Do you just have to buy the right grip?
You can, almost certainly, find a place to try a PFS within a few hour drive with some effort, I imagine.

PFS grips are by manufacturer mostly. But if you buy a pistol grip to fit the new gun, the back can be retrofit if he changes. Target shotguns now owns PFS. I think you’ll find they would be a wealth of information. Mr. Schultz was always very kind to me as a junior when I was looking in his shop in similar shoes as you and your son.

Also, you should look into going to Linn Creek MO for the state shoot or grand. It’s not too far and more options than anywhere else (more than likely).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
IMO proper fit and added weight trump any of the aftermarket recoil devices. If the gun is rubbing the shooter raw or leaving bruises, it doesn't fit. Get the gun fitted correctly first and then try a little weight to tame the recoil. A vest with a pad can offer the best of both worlds. I like a 10oz mercury tube in my guns.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
There is a about an half inch gap between the beads. I have never been able to stack the beads. With all the adjustments on the PFS you should be able to dial in the POI. I actually like to see gap between the beads. My Ljutic I shoot is 80/20 and I have the CXT pretty close to the Ljutic POI I might need to do some more tweaking on it to get closer to the 80/20 that I prefer.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
We live in western TN, close to Memphis.

Can the PFS be used on other guns? Do you just have to buy the right grip?
Yes. Just swap grips and you can put it on a different gun. If you already have the grips on the receivers, all it takes is one bolt to swap the PFS stock on.

I've had a Gracoil and a PFS. Definitely go with the PFS for all of the adjustability it offers, especially if you're thinking about switching guns in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Put a PFS on my 14 year old sons BT-99 this winter. Best decision I ever made. Score sheet don’t lie. You just need to resist tinkering with adjustments once set. So close to cutting a comb in that gun and having a gra-coil installed but sure glad we went this route

·
Registered
546 Posts
I Have tried both they work great then i found the best there is 4 me 1oz sts very little recoil saved a ton of money
Just My OP
Robert

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Have tried both they work great then i found the best there is 4 me 1oz sts very little recoil saved a ton of money
Just My OP
Robert
I have PFS on TM1 and Gracoil ond DB81 if have adjustable comb prefer Gracoil if not then PFS I prefer wood stocks graycoil suits me but TM1 did not have adjustable so picked PFS/ both improved shooting and reduced recoil.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I own three PFS stocks, and two gracoils, and hands down the PFS is better for adjusting your fit, and recoil than the Gracoil.
Lorrie

·
Banned
200 Posts
I have a Gracoil on my Citori. Not sure if it reduced recoil or not, but I only shot the gun once before it got put on. However, it feels amazing so I am happy with it. No issues with mine at all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One other thing. With the gracoil, the whole gun moves back on your face when it recoils. With the PFS, the comb stays put, doesn't move. I tried both and did not like the feeling of the comb rubbing my face with the Gracoil. I now have a PFS on my gun and my daughter's gun. Trying to talk my son into changing his out as well but he really likes his wood. I was having some pretty bad shoulder problems from shooting. I was considering stopping shooting or changing to left handed until I put the PFS on. 50 rounds and I was out of shooting for 2 weeks. Now, I recently did 500 rounds in a couple days at the state shoot and did fine. The PFS can also grow with your son in several dimensions. Great product in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts