Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new O/U and am thinking about a new Beretta. I have only had Brownings and would like some opinions about the 682 high rib Beretta. I shoot trap, skeet, live birds and doves. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks, ipscmaster.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If by "new shotgun" you mean new from the factory, the latest Beretta is the 692. These and the older 682s and even older still 680s are very well made shotguns, built to last in competition. How high a rib are you looking for? This could rule out some otherwise good choices. -Ed

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
It really depends on how the gun fits YOU.

Reactions: PSCShooter

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It really depends on how the gun fits YOU.
Agree. And if you like it, looks, feel, & how it shoots. I had a 687 and loved it. Then traded for a DT-11 with a unsingle and high rib, and love this one too! Go out and touch and feel both, and ask to shoot both at your club, I am sure there are both but listen to yourself. Steve

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
What's nice about the Beretta is you can swap barrels without getting them fitted. I have had both and prefer the Beretta.

Darr

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Not all Beretta barrels will swap without fitting, depends where in the manufacturing cycle both were built. I like Beretta's mono block and locking system, very easy to clean good solid gun. Brownings are also good solid guns you can't go wrong with either, what feels and fits best is the for you.

Surfer

·
Supporting Vendor
10,241 Posts
I've found that barrels on the Brownings are far better regulated than those of Beretta. In that price range, you just can't beat a Browning. Nothing on the market is even remotely close. And yes, I'm at the patterning board quite a bit with customers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am interested in regulation on the 692's. I have heard that the 686/687's had some issues. I'm considering purchasing a 692 that will have lot of stock work (for my daughter). She's a tiny little thing so we're looking at a recoil reduction system w/ adj butt plate, adj comb (built on monte-carlo stock). Probably the 28" skeet barrels. This will be both an olympic target gun and a "ACS" gun as she shoots anything with a moving pigeon.

The brownings just don't fit her properly, they feel heavy and too chunky for her. Anyone with a 692 that has had positive or negative experiences chiming in would be greatly appreciated. We're driving 8 hours round trip this weekend just so she can reconfirm that the gun feels ok to her and we don't have any issues with grip to trigger, radius issues etc.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love my DT10, I vote Beretta. Browning builds nice guns too, lots of guys shoot them including the No. 1 shooter in MT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love my DT10, I vote Beretta. Browning builds nice guns too, lots of guys shoot them including the No. 1 shooter in MT.
Thank you, she shoots a 3901RL now, but has to move to O/U for fit reasons (even with 12 7/8 lop her front hand is balancing the gun partially on the end of the receiver). I'd love to put her into a DT11 but that just isn't financially viable right now. I'm a little nervous about a used DT10.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This got me to looking... I was looking at Vincent Hancock's Beretta.. I note that it looks like the barrels are different on his than the factory DT11?

·
Registered
558 Posts
This got me to looking... I was looking at Vincent Hancock's Beretta.. I note that it looks like the barrels are different on his than the factory DT11?
Depends on how old the photo is. He used to shoot DT10 barrels on the newer frame, but eventually and now shoots DT 11 set.

Jeff Holguin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depends on how old the photo is. He used to shoot DT10 barrels on the newer frame, but eventually and now shoots DT 11 set.

Jeff Holguin
This one (which is also on his twitter feed from March 10th)
http://www.trapshooters.com/attachments/upload_2015-3-10_23-38-29-png.294998/

on his twitter feed (we are HUGE FANS!) this one was dated August 9th.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL-fiy7WUAErIrI.jpg

To me it looks like the rib between the barrels has been removed except for a bit approaching the muzzle. Maybe for weight?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah, yeah, sorry I'm a Perazzi guy so I misunderstood.

No side ribs. You can find the no rib in 28 and 30, not 32 unless you know somebody ;) Beretta DT 11 no-rib is a "european style" says Vinny.

JH

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I'd take a browning over the Beretta as well. Palm Beach Trap and Skeet was a dealer for Beretta for many many years before they closed. Around 2002-2003 or so they had one of the club champs buy a EELL O/U from the club. He could not shoot it very well at all. The patterning board showed the bottom barrel was way off to the side, from the top barrel that had the rib. So the club sent the gun back to Beretta. After many conversations back and forth and bla bla bla---Beretta said they would do nothing, because the gun was within there tolerance's. Long story short Palm beach trap and skeet dropped their long standing dealership with beretta and stopped selling them. Not even for a special order. They closed there doors 2-3 years later, but my point still stands. Now Beretta does not even carry a trap line of guns. Why did beretta really drop the 682 line of guns??? Beretta themselves said that the 682 line did not have a wide enough reciever, when they announced that the new 692 line had a wider frame and hinge pin area!!! Does Something Smell a bit fishy here or is it just me??? The club said they had a similar problem with a browning before this!!! Browning sent him a brand new gun to give to the buyer who encountered the problem. I do not know if Beretta has improved there customer service since this time??? This was not the only instance "I heard of", where a Beretta O/U had POI problems. Why are so many shooters swapping barrels for this line of gun, that was really never made to have interchangeable barrels???

Anyway buy the gun that fits you best!!! Close your eyes and mount the gun and get it comfortable on your cheek and shoulder. Open eyes and see how your looking down the barrel??? Buy the gun that gives you the perfect figure 8 when you open your eye's. Break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts