Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Browning Maxus Sporting clays semi auto with a 28" barrel. I have a Soft Touch recoil system and 4 way adjustable comb, and a recoil pad adjuster. Since owning the gun, I have settled with trap being my primary game.

I like the combo of the gas operation and Soft Touch as I have neck and back issues. With 7/8 oz loads, the Maxus is like heaven and has gotten me back into the game. The addition of the Soft Touch made a big reduction in felt recoil.

My questions are:

- Since I'm shooting trap exclusively, I'm wondering if I should just go with a gun built for trap, like a BT99?

- I'd put a soft touch on the BT99 but am not sure what to expect for recoil . I tend to think the extra weight of the BT99, with the Soft Touch, with 7/8 oz loads might be just as soft as my Maxus in felt recoil. Please give me your opinions on this. The low recoil is a must for me.

- On the flip side, I already have a lot of adjustability built into the Maxus. Conidering I know I can shoot this gun without hurting my neck or back, and it cycles light loads flawlessly. I'm wondering if there are things I might consider doing to make it more suited for trap, I.E:
  • Should I consider a raised rib? I can adjust the comb upward. Has anyone put a raised rib on their Maxus?
  • Should I look at a 30 " barrel instead of shooting the 28"?

Thank you for any opinions and or suggestions.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't do it! I had a Maxus for about a year and it was in the shop 4 times. Do what you want but I wouldn't recommend it!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am in kinda the same boat a neck injury made it hard to shoot. Fitted my BPS trap so I can shoot it comfortably. But I am really thinking of going to the 1100 comp to help more with recoil. Since I do get head aches and neck pains. If the gun fits you and allows you to shoot in comfort that would be the main thing. If you wanted to add a rib there is add a rib. But I have seen plenty oif guys shoot well with field model 12,87O wing masters and A400s

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't do it! I had a Maxus for about a year and it was in the shop 4 times. Do what you want but I wouldn't recommend it!
I'm interested in the problems you had with your Maxus. I have had mine for 3 years and the only thing done was they replaced the gas valve with a more robust design ( I think in 2015. ) I had actually sent it in because the fore grip was wobbly. They didn't fix that, I ended up doing it myself, but they did replace the gas valve with a heavier design. Other than that it has never failed except with some 7/8 oz blue remington shells that were the flimsiest plastic I've ever seen. It cycles Fiochi, Federal, Noble, and Rio no problems.

"Fromtheplaines," Thank you for your perspective on the 1100. I actually have that option in play, but posted it on a different thread as to not confuse this question. My price on it is very good.. I'd be getting it for free :) However the gun is a field gun. It might cost nearly as much to convert that to something close to the comp model. But, my Maxus is set up similar to the comp model with the soft touch and comb, so I doubt I'd spend that money.
To your point, the Maxus does fit, and I can shoot it probably as well as anything I've had. And it shoots very soft. I originally settled on it because I read it would cycle very light loads without a problem.

It might be the part of me that always wants to buy a new gun behind my questions. I might be best leaving well enough alone. However the raised rib might get my head in a more upright position.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may want to look into some neck and upper back stretches. That has helped me a lot when it comes to getting a comfortable and consistent mount.
Yes, this is very important to remember and it may be of bigger help than I realized as I never hurt while I'm shooting, but rather it sets in a couple days later. I think the answer might be to shoot every two days to manage the pain :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The BT99 is a trapshooting classic. I prefer an O/U though. My Browning CX is tailor made for trapshooting. Fit's me perfect, right out of the box. For $1695 retail, I dare you to find a better gun!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have never been a fan of Browning autoloaders for clay shooting. The Maxus is a nice looking gun, but too many folks who own or owned them were much more critical of the gun. I owned a 12 gauge 30" Gold Sporter years ago. I shot the gun well, but, it was the LOUDEST shotgun I ever owned. Also, after a year of use, the ejection port looked like it was eaten by a garbage disposal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bada bing in my opinion I would stick with what you have for now. I think the bt99, while yes a nice gun, wouldn't offer much of a change from your current gun other than possibly more reliability. If it works don't fix it!

Now if you start looking at a kx6 or something similar I might have other opinions but that's just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have owned a Maxus for 4 years & it is the most reliable auto I have ever owned & I have had most of them. I considered shooting trap with it however it needs an adjustable comb & Soft Touch does not advertise combs for Brownings so I put in the safe. In my opinion you have done a great job getting started. You have a gun that fits, does not hurt you & you can break targets with it. I do believe that a 30" barrel with a higher rib will help your scores & as mentioned earlier Add A Rib or Keensight can provide that. It is also my opinion that any O/U or single barrel shotgun will punish you compared to the Maxus.
I shoot a Perazzi MX2000RS with a PFS stock, it is heavy compared to what you are shooting & the extra weight will hurt you if you shoot a 100 targets or more. It will be almost impossible to put together a better suited gun for yourself than the one you have. Good luck & let us know how it works out for you.
Remember that opinions are like navels, everyone has one & you probable do not want to see or hear about them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Maxus my son has shot it quit a bit at trap he really likes it but he can shoot anything it seems like, I however did not like it for trap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts