Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Browning 725 Pro Trap that came with the DS chokes. I checked the bore dia. Of the barrels with my gauge at .740.
The DS choke marked "full" measured .703 which gives a .037 constriction which is a full choke in my book.
The DS "light full" choke measures .714 which is a .026 restriction that is more like a improved modified choke.

The DS "improved modified" choke measured .726 which is a .014 constriction, which is more like a light modified choke.

The "modified" DS choke measured .732 which is a .008 constriction that falls somewhere between a skeet and improved cylinder choke.

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I don't understand what Browning is doing here. I shot all chokes on paper and although I did not do exhaustive testing, the chokes seem to pattern pretty close to what i would expect them to at their respective measurements
Please enlighten me

John

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took Phil Kiner's shooting Clinic and he checked everyone's chokes. The only DS choke that was true to form was the full the rest of them were all way off.

·
Sky Buster
3,968 Posts
I took Phil Kiner's shooting Clinic and he checked everyone's chokes. The only DS choke that was true to form was the full the rest of them were all way off.
My 725 Unsingle is the same. The full works fine but I went to a Carlson
with .029 choke and am getting better brakes than with the DS choke tube.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't think Browning publishes the constrictions of their chokes. According to their website they rate the chokes according to the percentage of shot they place in a 30" circle. The Invector Plus chokes that came with my BT-99 measured similar to your DS chokes. The only one that was close to "standard" constriction was the Full.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't care what it says on the tube I go by the amount of constriction. My old citori has a standard barrel and the tubes and constriction are right on size but if you buy a factory gun that has had barrel work done from the factory the contriction is different, they are not making special chokes for these guns.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It is my understanding that the Browning DS chokes are "tula" (SP) type chokes. The shot opens then closes into the constriction prior to leaving the barrel giving the patterns indicated on the choke. The constrictions on these choke tubes will not measure the same as normal choke tubes but will be more open on the end. The Briley tubes I bought checked out like normal choke tubes. Unlike choke tubes in the past, the Browning factory DS choke tubes are not made by Briley, they are made by a company in France. Regards, Bob

·
Banned
1,211 Posts
Although I sold my browning 725, I found the DS chokes to work well. I also purchased a set of Mueller chokes that work just as well but cost me $80 a piece.

·
Registered
10,232 Posts
So Briley no longer makes the DS chokes for Browning. They are now made by a company in France. Now wonder quality control is all but gone. I say buy a full set of the Briley DS chokes and have fun. Maybe you can sell the old factory chokes on another website??? Its a shame that Browning has had to lower its standards. Just goes to show you that this economy is not going to go away, and its hitting every company world wide!!! Good Luck and break em all Jeff

·
Administrator
8,305 Posts
When my dad first got his 725 Trap Combo we spent a lot of time at the pattern board and getting it set up. We found that the DS Chokes were OK but not as consistent as we would have liked and decided to purchase Carlson's in full and ex. full and experienced much better results both on the pattern board and on the score board.

·
Vendor
1,658 Posts
It is not just the DS chokes but also invector and invector plus chokes made by Browning i.e. not Briley etc
Their chokes tend to be very open compared to industry standard for the marking.
I had a student beg me to help a friend of his at the State Shoot this year. He was consistently in the teens and no one could figure it out. BTW shooting a 725.
I checked his line-up and it was fine or at least where I would have started if in a clinic.
Looked at his choke and it was a DS modified which measured .007, I had him put his full in which measure .030+ and he shot the second hundred. raised his best score by 15 or so and actually smoked targets.
I don't care what Browning says about patterns- this is dribble perpetrated by some engineer that never shot a target - they are doing TRAPSHOOTERS a disservice by the way they make and mark their chokes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also purchased a set of Mueller chokes when I was shooting a 725. The DS chokes just didn't seem to give me the breaks that I liked. Have since changed guns to CG and use the Muellers with it although nothing wrong with the CG chokes, just a confidence thing with me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have a Browning 725 Pro Trap that came with the DS chokes. I checked the bore dia. Of the barrels with my gauge at .740.
The DS choke marked "full" measured .703 which gives a .037 constriction which is a full choke in my book.
The DS "light full" choke measures .714 which is a .026 restriction that is more like a improved modified choke.

The DS "improved modified" choke measured .726 which is a .014 constriction, which is more like a light modified choke.

The "modified" DS choke measured .732 which is a .008 constriction that falls somewhere between a skeet and improved cylinder choke.

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I don't understand what Browning is doing here. I shot all chokes on paper and although I did not do exhaustive testing, the chokes seem to pattern pretty close to what i would expect them to at their respective measurements
Please enlighten me

John
Originally, it's a pain, but once you figure out what you have, the chokes perform well. I was tempted to purchase other chokes but decided to be a little more patient and to get used to the real constrictions vs how they were labeled.

·
Vendor
1,658 Posts
In my post above I should have stated that I was giving one example of what I have observed many times.
Also regarding the choke constrictions, I have more than once, had a student that the full was the only thing that was close to industry standards and the rest (IM,M,LM) were all in a range from .004 to .012 constriction.
You cannot be consistent, at trap, with any of those improperly marked choke tubes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just screw in the tightest choke and shoot it a bit. Then go to the next highest choke. When your breaks become unsatisfactory go back to the last one you liked. Label and amount of constriction are ok for differentiation purposes but shoot the one that does the job the best. Too much time complicating a simple game.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I ordered new chokes fro Trulock when I bought my 725. They arrived before I picked up the gun from the FFL thanks to the CA 10 day wait.

I've never shot anything else in it. I've never had good luck with the pattern of the Browning chokes and the Turlock ones have always patterned well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts