Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting a bt 99 for awhile now. Decided on getting a o/u to get into doubles , decide on a cxt but can’t make up my mind between the blued or white model. Does anyone have any insight as to if either wear better than the other?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I had a CXT in the blue. I take care of my guns but apparently missed wiping down the inside of the receiver after shooting one day. After a week or so I pulled it out of the case and it had some rust spots on the inside of the receiver. If I had waited several weeks it may have been pretty bad but as it was most wiped off.

I have had several Brownings with the nitride coating and never had this issue.

I would go with the silver.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I have recent manufacture Browning's with both the blue and silver nitrate finishes. I haven't had any noticeable wear or corrosion with either over the last couple years and maybe 3-4000 shells each. I do try to do a wipe down after each shooting day. I keep a lightly oiled cloth in the case and do it at the club before leaving.

All that being said, I'd lean to the Silver CXT. It will probably resist wear or corrosion under less than ideal conditions- and I like the look better ;)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Good luck with it. Pretty much a browning guy for targets. BT-99, Citori Trap and XT Trap. They sure look nice. Out in my area they have not caught on yet. Have never seen one. But I don’t look real hard at stuff.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The "white" looks really good and like others I think it looks better than the blue. On the blue receiver I venture to bet the bluing will show wear before the silver finish just from carrying the gun open

Even if I'm tired or busy after a day of shooting it only takes a few seconds to give it a quick wipe down with a silicone rag and pull a lubed bore snake through it before putting it in the safe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just when I was gonna order the white version I came across a blue model with the most pretty wood I’ve ever seen. Just what I needed another thing to consider.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I prefer the silver nitride finish it seems to be durable and rust resistant from my experience even though my cx and xt were problem free. I never had any glare problem off my 725 pro.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a blued CXS and a silver XT. The CXS blueing starting showing wear on the bottom of the receiver within the first six months. The latch on the forearm within the first few weeks. No issues with the silver XT. My vote is buy the CXT white.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I have a 525 with the silver nitride finish. You must keep it lightly oiled like the rest of the gun. I let mine go for a week or so in a very humid condition. A tiny bit of rust showed up on the left side of the receiver. About the width of a pencil lead and 1/4” long. It came off easily with a few light strokes of steel wool, but it left a bit of discoloration similar to faded bluing. It’s not really a problem unless you are a perfectionist, which I’m not, but just the same, keep it oiled and out of humidity for storage. I like a silver finish much better than a blued finish and would buy one again without hesitation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is the one with the wood I really like, still not sure if I would rather the nicer wood or the silver finish. Price wise around $200 between them. Decisions
decisions
That has some decent figure, it would be tempting. I really don't mind bluing fading on a receiver, it kind of adds a nice patina and if you keep it oiled and wiped down after use you wont have to worry about pitting. Silver nitride is more resistant, but it is not corrosion proof but looks great as well. Might come down to a coin flip...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts