Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

I have attached 4 pictures which show my shotgun pattering. I have a browning CXT with 32 inch barrel with Adjustable Comb with 1-1/16 inch spacer. I used the Browning Midus Xtra full trap choke. I used Federal Top gun 1-1/8 oz with number 8 shot. I also shot all rounds with the bottom barrel. I aimed just under the Dot. The gun per factory says it shoots a 70/30. I do have a 1/16 spacer added on my comb. When i aim i see the figure 8. s this to high of a pattern for trap?

Thanks

My first target was at 16 yards. Looks like dead center
My Second target was at 30 yards, Looks like i shot to the left i might have jerked it when i pulled the trigger
My third shot was at 30 yards again, looks centered pattern is high
My Fourth shot was at 40 yards, looks centered and pattern is high

Colorfulness Font Circle Symmetry Space
Grass Circle Symmetry Font Pattern
Plant Grass Rectangle Font Gas
Colorfulness Eye Iris Astronomical object Art

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,687 Posts
Storeman, any info on how much in increments of raising a comb at 25 yards affects pattern elevation? Say 60/40 to get to 70/30?
Most will say 1/8” converts to about 3” at 35 yds, or 10% pattern increase.

Read the Neil Winston thread and do that. It’s really quite simple.

Also, I’d take a good hard look at your pattern density. Browning chokes are known for being less than marked off less than full.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
OP, some good advivce here. My take is that no-one can tell you what your pattern height should be. That will be determined by many things, including how quickly you shoot.

These are the sorts of things a good coach can assist with.

Be careful of setting your pattern height solely on straightaways, too. We engage straight targets more quickly than hard angles in competition, and we engage straight targets even more quickly when we know they are straights. Target engagement time is a compromise.

I take people to the board and get them shooting "more high than not". I then watch them shoot at least 25 oscillating targets and make small height adjustments from there. It's easy to go too far and then you end up chasing your tail.

· Registered
3,052 Posts
You got an idea of where your gun is shooting.

Now, go to the 16 yard line, lock the trap to throw straight away from post 3. Fine tune the stock to smoke ball the targets. Take a few shots from the other posts.

Also shoot some targets from your handicap yardage. If there is a need to adjust, you need to make the choice of having to adjust for each event or just learn what works in the other event when the gun is set for the one.

If you did any adjustment to the comb or rib. Document where the GUN is shooting by shooting at 13 yards from a rest. If you start to have problems hitting the targets; Shooting at 13 yard from a rest will let you know if its the gun or you.

Jason

· Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Hi All...

I have attached 4 pictures which show my shotgun pattering. I have a browning CXT with 32 inch barrel with Adjustable Comb with 1-1/16 inch spacer. I used the Browning Midus Xtra full trap choke. I used Federal Top gun 1-1/8 oz with number 8 shot. I also shot all rounds with the bottom barrel. I aimed just under the Dot. The gun per factory says it shoots a 70/30. I do have a 1/16 spacer added on my comb. When i aim i see the figure 8. s this to high of a pattern for trap?

Thanks

My first target was at 16 yards. Looks like dead center
My Second target was at 30 yards, Looks like i shot to the left i might have jerked it when i pulled the trigger
My third shot was at 30 yards again, looks centered pattern is high
My Fourth shot was at 40 yards, looks centered and pattern is high

View attachment 1757541 View attachment 1757543 View attachment 1757544 View attachment 1757545
Are these a sample of several or just one each. If one of each, you should shoot atleast five of whatever your doing as a minimum for each desired purpose and 10 is more conclusive.

Did you shoot these from a rest or freehand?
If you shoot them freehand, you wasted your time for POI substantiation.

For quality of pattern, choke appears loose for a bonafide full (.032 or greater) constriction.

· Registered
4,775 Posts

· Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Could you post it publicly for all to see?
I would but can't take a risk of getting banned again for helping you all by doing it. So Please send me a PM conversation and I will help you get dialed in without breaking the Forum Rules. I have included my personal phone number in my PM to help out. Thanks for understanding.

Storeman Norman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.