Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick post about a teammate and friends recent experience with Browning. In late September/early October a friend of mine upgraded from a TT-15 to a brand new 725 combo that he purchased at Guns Unlimited. He was super pumped about it and we got it all set up and he shot 2 weeks of league and some miscellaneous practice and setup.

Two weeks after owning the gun, we noticed the bluing coming off up and down the rib. Both on the sides of the rib and on top of the rib. At first you might think he leaned it up on something metal or it happened during travel or something, but I promise that's not the case and he never stored it anywhere other than the browning case he bought with the gun. Also, the fact that the bluing was coming off on top of the rib gave us all a pretty good feeling that something went wrong during the bluing process at the factory.

He was able to get a hold of Browning customer service and explained the situation. The guy asked how long he had owned the gun and he told him 2 weeks. At this point the Browning rep agreed that was not right and it should be covered under warranty. Had him ship the barrel to Browning for inspection and repair. Fast forward to now...he got a call from a different rep that indicated it would likely not be covered by warranty but had to get more info from someone else there. So now he gets a final call in which they tell him that it is clear and obvious that the barrel was cleaned with either brake clean or acetone, which caused the bluing to fail. This is really frustrating because he absolutely did not use any abrasive cleaners at all. If anything it was oiled once during his ownership.

So now he gets an email, attached, saying he will have to pay $377.32 to have the barrel re-blued. If he declines the service they are going to slap him with a $50 fee just to get the barrel back.

I just feel like this is pretty poor customer service, especially after they told him from the first phone call that it was no big deal and they would take care of it. Now they are holding his barrel hostage to some degree. 3 members of our team have bought Brownings brand new, and always loved the guns. However, this is our only experience with customer service and I have to say it's leaving a bad taste in our mouths.

I guess my question for the forum is, is he/are we crazy for being upset about this experience and is this something that should be covered under warranty?

I understand the optics of my first post being a complaint about customer service, and I understand that it probably looks like I created an account just to get on here and blast Browning over a bad experience. That said, I've been reading these forums for 5+ years and have always found tons of good information. I just never feel the need to interject my opinion on things.
Finger Thumb Material property Nail Automotive tire
Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Wood Mesh
Automotive tire Rectangle Grey Wood Material property
Brown Line Natural material Wood Snout
Brown Wood Textile Natural material Liver
View attachment 1775579

Attachments

· Registered
Citori 725 sporting, Beretta Silver Pidgeon, Nemo
162 Posts
I had a problem with my 725 in the barrel bulged due to a bad shell from Remington. Remington paid for the repair. Took over 8 months to get the gun back. Nicks in the bluing, one small one in the stock. They just don't give a crap.

· Registered
76 Posts
So now he gets an email, attached, saying he will have to pay $377.32 to have the barrel re-blued. If he declines the service they are going to slap him with a $50 fee just to get the barrel back.
looks like normal wear and tear. Looks like mechanical damage for me. My semiauto looks same: rib, barrel, especially end of the barrel.

Acetone can't harm bluing... Only if "bluing" is actually not a "bluing"

· Registered
76 Posts
looks like normal wear and tear. Looks like mechanical damage for me. My semiauto looks same: rib, barrel, especially end of the barrel.

Acetone can't harm bluing... Only if "bluing" is actually not a "bluing"
I have similar marks on the rib.
Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Tints and shades Rim

This is usually due to handling/mishandling. have big scratches similar to a picture in the beginning of the thread on a rib of SemiAuto - was not careful and gun slid/slipped on the gun rack - similar scratches

· Premium Member
253 Posts
I had the opposite experience with Browning's customer service a couple months ago.

I purchased a brand new BT-99 from Joel Etchen, which I had shipped to me. Got it home, greased it up, and it was so tight that it galled the hinge and forearm immediately. I contacted JE, who put me in touch with Browning support. I shipped it to them (Browning) on their dime, they fixed it, and shipped it back - all in less than a month

I agree that Guns Unlimited would probably be a big help here - do you happen to have the direct contact information (or at least the name) of the original rep that said it would be covered under warranty? Might be good to try and re engage them as well

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a call back from guns unlimited after they spoke with Mike (?) at Browning. He said they will not be able to do anything and Browning is sticking to “it was a chemical”. Which is really frustrating. There was no chemical used on this barrel.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I've had similar bad experiences with Browning customer service. I have a BT 99 that was less than a year old when something gave way in the trigger assembly. I had previously dealt with Browning over a barrel issue and after several months they told me that my barrel was unfixable.
After that experience, I started taking my business to Midwest Gun Works in Pevely, Mo. They are an authorized Browning repair station. I made the 90 minute trip to Midwest and they promptly diagnosed the trigger issue as a broken hammer. They told me this would be covered under warranty at no charge to me. The next day they called and said my gun was ready to be picked up. Great customer service in record fast time. From now on all my repair issues will be handled by Midwest.

· Registered
673 Posts
The first picture attached looks like something other than chemical caused it. Looks more mechanical and maybe someone tried to cover up a repair that didn't last. I have had mixed results with Browning service but always good luck taking guns to an authorized service center if you are fortunate enough to live close to one. Nothing better than talking through the issue eye to eye with the gun sitting there. Good luck.

· Registered
Kolar
121 Posts
From my experience with browning, it all depends on who you talk to. I went above the service department and they took very good care of me. If you can get ahold of management, they are a lot better to talk to.

· Sky Buster
4,481 Posts
I agree with Storeman. Get in touch with Guns Unlimited. They are super when it comes to customer service.
A friend of mine purchased a new 725 combo from Guns Unlimited. When it was received, he noticed the rib was on crooked. Guns Unlimited refused to do anything
except tell him to return the gun to Browning. He did and the repair took 90 days.

· Registered
6,254 Posts
So now he gets a final call in which they tell him that it is clear and obvious that the barrel was cleaned with either brake clean or acetone, which caused the bluing to fail. This is really frustrating because he absolutely did not use any abrasive cleaners at all.
No, but I'll bet he set it in the gun club rack. Those marks look exactly like the gun was set, HARD, into a gun rack, and bumped other guns, or other guns were set in the rack snd bumped into his.

Would blood eat bluing off?
Yes, but that's not what this is. The scratches on the side of the rib look like another checkered or serrated rib rubbed against it.

· Registered
465 Posts
I had to send my new 725 combo back to Browning because of a bent rib on the Unsingle barrel. It took them 8 months and a call to the production supervisor to finally get the job done right . They ended up paying more for shipping costs and completely refinishing the entire stock then it would’ve cost to ship me a new gun. Their customer service and repair center in my opinion suck . I Would put some cold blue on it and Call it good ,even though you should not have to do that. Your friend will probably save himself a lot of headache IMO.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, but I'll bet he set it in the gun club rack. Those marks look exactly like the gun was set, HARD, into a gun rack, and bumped other guns, or other guns were set in the rack snd bumped into his.
I understand that it looks like this was caused from mishandling, but I promise in the 2 weeks he owned this gun, he treated it like a baby. And beyond that, the rack dividers at our gun club are made completely out of rubber so there is no way for metal on metal or any guns to run into each other. My buddy didn’t do anything to cause this problem, something went wrong with the bluing process at Browning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.