Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 300+ flawless rounds thru this newer vintage gun I had a lot of issues with 2nd shot not resetting yesterday. Win AA heavy target loads, 1 1/8 oz 12 ga so not wimpy downloads. We were shooting a 5 stand flurry and I was shooting low gun / snap mount so may have not had such a tight mount on the gun but still with that ammo should be no problem. Can't reproduce at home by rapping buttstock on floor - it was cool [45] but not so cold that lube would have gelled up. First time it failed for 20 shots and then worked, 2nd squad it worked and then failed. In Sept I shot 50 rd clays course with zero issues, failed on first shot this time.

Tried both bbls on selector, cycled tang safety, failed all combos after firing first bbl.

Bit of a head scratcher but 'Oh well.'

Found thread here and ordered .410 trigger plunger spring, going to try that plus a good inspection and internal cleaning while it's apart.

Bummer but hope it's a quick fix, ordered 2 springs so I can do my 20 ga as well.

Will report on results - great insight from this forum so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless something broke in your gun, it is caused by a weak mount.
Kinda what I suspect given the way I was mounting it yesterday but the new spring should failsafe it.
[Noticeable difference in the 'floor bump' reset force vs matching 20 ga.] Mount wasn't that weak as my shoulder and cheek don't hurt today but probably enough to absorb some recoil.

I do have a pair of old 12 to .410 adaptors [not full tubes] which will make for interesting test when new springs are in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Are you releasing the trigger all the way after first shot,, I know my brothers Browning 525 if he doesn't release the trigger it won't reset for the second shot

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you are wearing gloves try shooting with out them. I just experienced that same thing Sunday I was shooting doubles and 3 times I had FTF and realized
I was trapping the trigger took my gloves off and all was well no more problem. If you have a browning with adjustable trigger shoe try placing it all the way to the rear. ps I have the 410
trigger plunger spring and it will not cure trapping the trigger.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Skeetman and Largo9 gave you good suggestions. If you have the wide trigger shoe installed try the thin trigger shoe. Sometimes your finger will contact the side of the trigger preventing it from resetting for the second shot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
After 300+ flawless rounds thru this newer vintage gun I had a lot of issues with 2nd shot not resetting yesterday. Win AA heavy target loads, 1 1/8 oz 12 ga so not wimpy downloads. We were shooting a 5 stand flurry and I was shooting low gun / snap mount so may have not had such a tight mount on the gun but still with that ammo should be no problem. Can't reproduce at home by rapping buttstock on floor - it was cool [45] but not so cold that lube would have gelled up. First time it failed for 20 shots and then worked, 2nd squad it worked and then failed. In Sept I shot 50 rd clays course with zero issues, failed on first shot this time.

Tried both bbls on selector, cycled tang safety, failed all combos after firing first bbl.

Bit of a head scratcher but 'Oh well.'

Found thread here and ordered .410 trigger plunger spring, going to try that plus a good inspection and internal cleaning while it's apart.

Bummer but hope it's a quick fix, ordered 2 springs so I can do my 20 ga as well.

Will report on results - great insight from this forum so thanks in advance.
Tried both bbls on selector, cycled tang safety, failed all combos after firing first bbl. - Do I understand this as after a failure to fire the 2nd barrel, you tried moving the selector, cycling the safety etc. and it still wouldn't fire? If so, there is definitely something wrong. Maybe something in the safety holding the inertia block in the "up" position but in any case, if I've understood this correctly this isn't a problem with the shooter, it's a problem in the mechanism.

-Scot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts