Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Browning Crossover I bought (from a trapshooter guy on this site) has an adjustable comb that was cut into the guns normal "sloped" butt stock. Adjusting the comb up and down wasn't a problem but for trap shooting (and other shooting too) I wanted the comb top to be parallel to the barrels rib. Moving the comb up, in the sloped stock condition, I found it hammering my cheekbone by the second round of trap - making it pretty uncomfortable.

There is enough clearance between the stock posts and comb inserts to position the comb parallel to the barrel but I found I ran out of stock post height, on the rear stock post, to get the comb up and the gun shooting sufficiently high enough for me. The back of the comb was so high the comb set screw wouldn't lock solidly against the post. I had the name of the gentleman who'd done the comb (Mark Deprez Stockmaker, Conesus, NY - he has a website), and a beautiful job it was. I emailed him about a new stock rear post. He got back to me immediately and shipped me one, 1/4 inch higher, in two days and I'm back in action. The new post also uses the same existing screw (which told me it simply had a 1/4 inch deeper counterbore in the top to use the same screw).

I mention all of this in case other Crossover guys run into a like situation. It's a fairly easy modification and low cost too.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The Browning Crossover I bought (from a trapshooter guy on this site) has an adjustable comb that was cut into the guns normal "sloped" butt stock. Adjusting the comb up and down wasn't a problem but for trap shooting (and other shooting too) I wanted the comb top to be parallel to the barrels rib. Moving the comb up, in the sloped stock condition, I found it hammering my cheekbone by the second round of trap - making it pretty uncomfortable.

There is enough clearance between the stock posts and comb inserts to position the comb parallel to the barrel but I found I ran out of stock post height, on the rear stock post, to get the comb up and the gun shooting sufficiently high enough for me. The back of the comb was so high the comb set screw wouldn't lock solidly against the post. I had the name of the gentleman who'd done the comb (Mark Deprez Stockmaker, Conesus, NY - he has a website), and a beautiful job it was. I emailed him about a new stock rear post. He got back to me immediately and shipped me one, 1/4 inch higher, in two days and I'm back in action. The new post also uses the same existing screw (which told me it simply had a 1/4 inch deeper counterbore in the top to use the same screw).

I mention all of this in case other Crossover guys run into a like situation. It's a fairly easy modification and low cost too.
or you could go to ace hardwear and get a 1/4" nylon spacer to put under post to raise it.

jack mc

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or you could go to ace hardwear and get a 1/4" nylon spacer to put under post to raise it.

jack mc
True - I'd considered that but didn't want plastic under the post to potentially crack under screw tightening or have to fool around with a new length screw since the screw doesn't engage much into the stock post mechanism and it's of a special length on mine (so I'd have to then grind down a new screw - which is stainless). My conclusion was that by the time I bought a new stainless screw, modified its length and found a solid stainless washer/spacer, I'd have spent the $10 it cost for a new taller post.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mark does great work and is a good guy. Glad the longer post was so easy to source. Yeah, a bit of a plug for Mark! :143:

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bringing my new crossover to him this Thurday for an adjustable comb, glad I read this, because I will be shooting more trap than anything with it, so will ask for the longer rear post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts