Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what type of finish there would be on a Browning Citori Skeet Special, I think it was made in the 80's-90's? I've read it's probably varnished, but not sure. The butt stock is starting to get a bit tacky on hot humid days. I'd like to clean it properly and I'm not quite sure of the finish. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If it is getting tacky on hot humid days, I would tend to think the finish is not original. Then it would be anyone's guess.

Reactions: Huntfishbbq

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I have a Citori, but it’s not that old. It gets tacky in the heat. It’s a Grade I or II wood I think. It has an oil finish. I need to have someone look at it. The wood seems soft, unlike black walnut, and kind of sticky. I’ve wondered if several coats of Truoil would harden it up and do away with the sticky.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I took another look last night after returning from the club and I can see some of the finish coming off nearest the receiver. Also, the comb is rougher than the rest of the stock. I figured that was from the oils and sweat.

A couple pics...

20180908_092125.jpg 20180908_092255_Burst01.jpg 20180908_092248.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Just to clean it up a bit, probably a good furniture polish. Otherwise and total stock refinish might be in order. Just depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hard to judge from pictures but that does not look like an original Browning finish on that gun at all. It should be much darker. The original Browning finish never got tacky and always stayed smooth. It was tough stuff; ask anyone that has tried to strip it off. You're best best is to strip, sand, stain, and top with a Tru-Oil finish; it's the next best thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard to judge from pictures but that does not look like an original Browning finish on that gun at all. It should be much darker. The original Browning finish never got tacky and always stayed smooth. It was tough stuff; ask anyone that has tried to strip it off. You're best best is to strip, sand, stain, and top with a Tru-Oil finish; it's the next best thing.
Thanks, WISGUNNER. I was thinking that was the case in the back of my mind, but didnt want to believe it. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if your just looking to clean and help with the tackiness, pledge furniture polish works great.
spray some on a rag and wipe it down (i try to keep out of the checkering), will protect the metal as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone know what type of finish there would be on a Browning Citori Skeet Special, I think it was made in the 80's-90's? I've read it's probably varnished, but not sure. The butt stock is starting to get a bit tacky on hot humid days. I'd like to clean it properly and I'm not quite sure of the finish. Thanks!
I have a '92 Citori I use for skeet and sporting clays. I am not a fan of Browning's hard finish so I stripped it and refinished it with Tru Oil and Armor All. I think this concoction holds up well and looks like an oil finish.
Citori Stock-2.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice, i need to redo my citori. After tru oil, did you use armor all wipes or liquid from spray bottle... how much to get the stock to look like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts