Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had the opportunity today to measure the choke constriction on some older Browning Citoris with fixed chokes.

Two were marked Improved Modified and Full and one was marked Modified and Full.

The lower barrels on all of them were between 0.012 to 0.015 inch constriction.

The upper barrel on all of them was between 0.040 and 0.045 inch constriction.

A few weeks ago measured a Citori which was 0.005 inch on the lower barrel and over 0.040 on the upper.

Does this seem about right for older Citoris ?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Mine aren't choked that tight. I do have one gun that is marked Mod/Full, but I had it reamed out to Sk/Sk, so I can use it to shoot skeet. Without knowing the history of a gun, it is a good idea to check constrictions, but it's hard to make them tighter than factory. I guess back then Full really meant FULL!
Mark

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wow...

I just bought a new to me 1979 Browning Citori Trap gun with M/F fixed chokes. I hope its not that tight on full.

It won't be shipped till Monday...so I don't know what it is for sure yet.

Stan

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
1979 Citori Trap, bottom .030, top .040. Factory correct and damn tight.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would suggest that it matters more how and where it shoots than what it is marked or measures. Had many chokes marked as one thing and shoot another. Mike

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If mine is a tight full or x-tra full and shoots exactly like it should it will tighter than I like. I used to shoot a real tight choke ...but decided they don't pattern as well..at least at the distance I break birds at.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well..

My new to me, fixed choke, Trap gun arrived and I got to try it out yesterday. It is marked IM and Full. The IM is .032 and the Full is .045.

First time out..The IM was a target smasher from the back line... the Full seems too tight for me to really hit the target with the core I guess... Whatever the reason it just doesn't crush 'em like the '032.

However the .045 always gets a chunk or two. I need practice with that one or need to open it up some... It feels like a miss even though it breaks the target.

I seem to get a much better hit with the .032 at the yardage I hit the target.

I tried extra full chokes before ..and had the same resuts with a BT-99 once upon a time. It surprised me back then, because I thought it would leave nothing but smoke with a real tight choke. Never happened that way for me though...even when I ran the set.

Maybe I should start a thread on the tightest fixed choke that works for most handicap shooters, just out of curiosity.

Stan...

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Id consider having someone like Tom Wilkinson open the up a tad and massage them for top patterns...Id ask for 25 and 34 +/- a couple either way

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for that Calvin..

I just started a thread along that exact line...perhaps you could lend some insight about Wilkinson there....or maybe something he's done on your guns...

...Stan

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Tom really knows how to work magic on fixed choke barrels...I never had him do it for anything for me personally but I owned a few guns that the previous owners had him work on..Herb Orre was super on them too may he rest in peace.....My current K80 combo has had barrel work by Jerry Phillips of Silver Seitz..he backbored all 3 to .740.. the O/U's are fixed at 20 and 30 and throw phenomenol even patterns with any shell..even Walmart junk..the unsingle had his .038" until being sent for Briley thinwalls which work excellent but I never quite figured out why the previous owner took out what I'm sure was a target destroying constriction to put tubes in...no matter though..it shoots great and I love it

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
28/30 bottom 32/38 top 4 trap I opened mine to 17 and 28 for doubles but now use it for sporting works like a charm. As always pattern the gun first with your shells adjust from there . The newer sporting guns are mod and I mod with fixed chokes. Herb Orre used 20-24 for 16 yards and 30-36 for caps of the ones I checked. I do not know any guns made with 40 or more today but could be wrong let me know as most are tubes today. The Perazzi number 10 chokes 40th I have seen are always as new or hardly shot number 8 32 th was always well used.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts