Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Browning Citori CXS. I took the forend off and cleaned it up real good. I put the barrels back on the receiver but when I put the forend on the latch lever doesn't close. I have contacted Browning and their service department mentioned that sometimes the humidity can shrink the wood causing the forend to not fit properly. He sent me a shipping label and told me to send it back to Browning and they will refit the forend to the gun. I don't want to do that because I want to go shooting in 2 days and I don't think that's the issue since I can get the forend on when I take the barrels off of the receiver. I greased up the gun real good and the barrels go on fine but that darn forend latch won't fit unless the barrels are off the receiver. I have read online to some people having a similar issue and they filed the hook on the barrel down a little. The Browning rep mentioned that but did not recommend it since I may take too much off the hook. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Do I need more grease somewhere on the receiver? I can send pictures or upload a YouTube video if it will help.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Kap,
I had the same issue with my Browning crossover which is basically the same gun. I ended up removing the metal latching hardware in the forearm and there was a buildup of the clear coat finish under the metal . I carefully removed this buildup with a small wood chisel and installed the metal hardware back in and because it set a little lower in the forearm it latched perfectly. I am talking only a few thousands removed from the inside of the forearm under the hardware. Hope this helps.

Shotgunner50

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This is what I think it is. I have seen Brownings very tight like this out of the box. Sometimes it is the back of the barrel lug toward the receiver that needs some attention. Check this first. Usually it is very hard to push the forend on completely like you are saying when the barrels are on the receiver, but not when they are separated. Reason being that back of the barrel lug is really pushing that forend iron in tight to the receiver. If it is all the way on and the lever will not latch then it may be the "Hook.

Use enough grease on the contact points so it is not so hard on the metal. Look and see where the wear marks are and take off some of the metal very, very slowly, one stroke of a small file at a time. Keep it square to the surface. This is if you want to do it yourself.

You still want it to be tight, and have to force the lever closed, It will wear in from there.

Reactions: kap37

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. How much force is too much? Can I damage the forend by forcing it closed? I'm not to comfortable filing anything down because I don't want to take too much off and make it loose. Kinda wish Browning did a better job so this wasn't an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
... I'm not to comfortable filing anything down because I don't want to take too much off and make it loose. Kinda wish Browning did a better job so this wasn't an issue.
SMART MAN!!! Ignore ANY and ALL suggestions to remove metal ANYWHERE trying to fix this!

·
Registered
793 Posts
... I'm not to comfortable filing anything down because I don't want to take too much off and make it loose. Kinda wish Browning did a better job so this wasn't an issue.
SMART MAN! I watched my smith fit new forearm iron to a customer's action. No files anywhere. He used specially shaped engraver's slips (ultra-fine stones) to POLISH, not cut, the metal he needed to remove. That ain't a job for for over-confident, well-intentioned amateurs.

Reactions: kap37

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I have a old Parker SxS that I can't force the lever closed but if I squeeze the forend tight to the barrel the lever will fall into place by itself. A gunsmith said to leave it alone. That method works fine for me.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
There is a bracket on the bottom of the barrels, with a piece that needs to slide freely back and forth. Make sure it is lubed, and slides freely, then try to reassemble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called Browning again, they still want me to send it in to have the forend refitted. I decided to try it again one final time before succumbing to the 4-6 week turnaround time for my brand new gun that needs to be taken out and shot. I placed the barrels in the receiver, then attached the forend and gave the latch a couple love taps with my hand and bingo! It clicked! I am not touching it until after I go shooting this weekend and need to clean it. Thank you everyone for all of the advice, you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have the same problem with a beretta and the only way I can get the forearm on is to install the forearm until it's about 1/4" from the barrel
and then give it a tap with the palm of my hand and it will latch on then.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I just bought a CTX and it's the same way. When Guns Unlimited's Citori Combo first came out I both one and it was the asme way also. Same with a BT99 I had bought in 1993.

It will loosen up over time. Just keep it well lubed with clean grease so it doesn't gall.

Just keep

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
The forearm will snap into place on my new CX, then I have to push the latch lever in to lock it in place.
The latch lever will snap into place by itself on my old 682 just by pushing the forearm into place...and has since new.
The Browning is different....a different design, I suppose.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,822 Posts
Very common with new guns. Assemble like normal. Grab around the barrel and very top of the forend (muzzle end), then gently squeeze the forend up against the barrel. Simultaneously push the lever closed with your other hand. Should close right up.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You need to send the gun back to Browning - do not fool with it in any way. I understand your disappointment but in my humble opinion asking for and taking advice from people you do not know and have names like Monkey Spanker is not very prudent.

In the hypothetical, let's pretend Browning is not going to help you. What to do ?? Reach for a file or a stone and start removing metal from your gun despite the fact that you really do not know anything about it ?? If it were me, before I brought the gun to a real gunsmith, I would check the screws in the forearm iron and make certain they are nice and snug. I would also make certain that I used a good screwdriver of the correct size. If the screws are slotted, the slots are probably very narrow and I would have to use gunsmith screwdrivers or risk really causing myself even more problems. If the forearm screws are tight, I would get the gun to a real gunsmith. But that is just me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought a new Browning Citori CXS. I took the forend off and cleaned it up real good. I put the barrels back on the receiver but when I put the forend on the latch lever doesn't close. I have contacted Browning and their service department mentioned that sometimes the humidity can shrink the wood causing the forend to not fit properly. He sent me a shipping label and told me to send it back to Browning and they will refit the forend to the gun. I don't want to do that because I want to go shooting in 2 days and I don't think that's the issue since I can get the forend on when I take the barrels off of the receiver. I greased up the gun real good and the barrels go on fine but that darn forend latch won't fit unless the barrels are off the receiver. I have read online to some people having a similar issue and they filed the hook on the barrel down a little. The Browning rep mentioned that but did not recommend it since I may take too much off the hook. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Do I need more grease somewhere on the receiver? I can send pictures or upload a YouTube video if it will help.

Any help is appreciated![/QUOTE

My CX is very tight and have to hold the forend tight to the barrels to close the latch. My issue is I can't get the barrels back on the receiver everything is made so tight. That's a good thing!! I'm going to pop for a CXT with the adjustable stock.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Try not to hit the forearm when installing it, instead squeezing the forearm onto the barrel's will help avoid the chance of splitting it. My Crossover, was very tight 50000 rounds ago. I had to squeeze and pull the latch lever at the same time when it was new. Try this next time you clean it. Good luck shooting it. I hope you love your as much as I do mine !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts