Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love shooting BT99's, had 3, also have shot the 725 and love it. The only somewhat negative thing I question about then is as follows: Hard to get at the trigger assy. to clean and lube as well as a slower lock speed. Two, involves the breakage factor. Browning's as a rule are not built to take the abuse of a lot of shooting like a registered shoot every week-end. That has been my experience, and the turn around speed from Browning's repair shop in Arnold, MO is relatively slow; several weeks and usually several months. Can usually be repaired at State shoots or Grand type shoots where gunsmiths are available. Still love shooting these guns but these are the problems I experienced. My opinion only.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One last thing, Does anyone know poi didstribution? 70:30 maybe? I've seen numbers all over the board in my searches.
Mine shot about 70/30 out of the box. Raised the comb and now it shoots 100% high. Do yourself a favor and either replace the chokes or pattern them before you shoot. They are very open compared to industry standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm going over this evening to put down a deposit and start the background check.
Also, SM, I was not able to do much better in price , but they did provide a $150 hard case, and a couple chokes that did not come with the gun . I'm feeling pretty good about it.
One last thing, Does anyone know poi didstribution? 70:30 maybe? I've seen numbers all over the board in my searches.
Its all over because people have different faces. 70/30 sounds in the ball park for a trap gun. When you pattern it for POI you'll know for sure.

But, like mentioned above you'll need to pattern the chokes for performance. Which, does not mean a couple of shots on paper and eye balling. Make sure you're using shotgun insight for pattern performance.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you buy one new, Browning has a 10% rebate going on through then end of the month!
Wow, I caught this one just in time. The dealer with the used gun , with taxes included ended up costing $140 more than a new gun with the 10% discount. The dealer with the used gun would not budge in his price, so I got a new one on order with another place. According to browning, I just need to take possession by the end of the month to get the 10% off.

Njtrap47, I know the feelung on the fit thing. Oddly I am the opposite. I can't get a Beretta to fit me right . As much as I'd love to have one, it just won't work for me.

To all , thanks for the feedback.

I want to get some extended chokes for it. What works well with the 725?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes!! I ended up buying a new one . With the rebate I got it for $140 less than a used one at my lgs.

I have not received it yet since I ordered it . But expect it early next week . Pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I bought one new a couple years ago from Joel at the PA State Shoot.

$2700, then I opted to have a adjustable comb done privately, since at the time, the combo from Guns Unlimited was using cheesy hardware that many people here said to avoid.

It took several thousand rounds to loosen up; but now that it has, it is a joy to shoot.

Many reports here about the firing pins becoming pitted very quickly. Yes they do. After market pins are readily available and SIMPLE to install yourself.

Overall, at the pricepoint, a great gun.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The first thing after buying my 725 was to sh?? can the factory chokes and bought a Carlson Lt. mod. and a full extended chokes they work great for doubles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gotta echo some other replies. Love the gun, but patterning the OEM chokes found them to be garbage. Replacing them with anything is money well spent.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A guy at my club told me they sell a combo with the single barrel/hi rib, and an OU barrel. He had strong feelings that if it came down to choosing one of the barrels , it would be the single shot with the very high rib.

I only know one person that has the 725 trap combo. That person told me that the single barrel cannot be bought as an individual item ?

The combo gun costs an extra $2000. For me, I think I'd rather spend that money towards a soft touch.

Does anyone know if a single barrel can be purchased later? I somewhat doubt if I'd use it as I liked the extra weight of the double barrel.....and if I could only afford one barrel, seems the one that can shoot doubles can add an extra dimension of play.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know if a single barrel can be purchased later? I somewhat doubt if I'd use it as I liked the extra weight of the double barrel.....and if I could only afford one barrel, seems the one that can shoot doubles can add an extra dimension of play.
You can occasionally find someone selling the barrel, but odds are you'll have to have it professionally fitted to your receiver.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
[QUOTE="Does anyone know if a single barrel can be purchased later? I somewhat doubt if I'd use it as I liked the extra weight of the double barrel.....and if I could only afford one barrel, seems the one that can shoot doubles can add an extra dimension of play.
Don't know why, but Browning does not sell barrels.[/QUOTE]

My guess would be the barrels require fitting Like Mahoney mentioned . They sell barrels for their semi autos, but the fitting there is not nearly as precise.

I'm really trying to understand the advantage of a single barrel vs an OU. I'm not competing . . Not that it matters at this point.. after all, I fell in love with the OU version :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I got my 725. Yesterday , man it looks awesome! The weather here is cold and rainy so I doubt I'll be able to get it out until Thursday .

I have been trying to clean the factory protectant from inside the barrels. I must have passed 15 patches with Hoppes through each barrel and it is still coming out.

Anyone have any ideas of how to clean this stuff out?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got my 725. Yesterday , man it looks awesome! The weather here is cold and rainy so I doubt I'll be able to get it out until Thursday .

I have been trying to clean the factory protectant from inside the barrels. I must have passed 15 patches with Hoppes through each barrel and it is still coming out.

Anyone have any ideas of how to clean this stuff out?

Thanks,

Jeff
I just sprayed some CLP down the barrel, let it sit for a bit, then ran a boresnake down. That seemed to do the job well enough.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just sprayed some CLP down the barrel, let it sit for a bit, then ran a boresnake down. That seemed to do the job well enough.
Thank you. The bore snake definitely helped. The barrel looks shiny. I took out the choke tubes and the inside of them look clean. I get to a clean patch now and then , but after it soaks I get a little more. I think I'm just going to have to call it a day. Brake cleaner/degreaser would do it, but I don't have the stones for that.

Thank you

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you. The bore snake definitely helped. The barrel looks shiny. I took out the choke tubes and the inside of them look clean. I get to a clean patch now and then , but after it soaks I get a little more. I think I'm just going to have to call it a day. Brake cleaner/degreaser would do it, but I don't have the stones for that.

Thank you
No problem. Now stop cleaning and start dusting! Enjoy

21 - 40 of 55 Posts