Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those in the know. Browning makes/sells three different choke tubes for their BT99 series guns. Flush , Midas and Diana. Is their any real difference in these other than the extended length and of course the higher price? Looks are one thing but performance is more important. Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's one of the things I investigated. I expected to find a big difference but didn't find anything that was significantly different. In fact, one of the tentative conclusions is that details of the choke profile are almost irrelevant and all that matters is that there is enough constriction (which may be affected by profile). 40-thou is a safe bet.

Andrew.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
all the current chokes are Briley produced..the only difference is the finishes...they are identical internally constriction-wise when compared with the same designation...consistancy is a Briley hallmark

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I shoot an extended IM/F in my BT-99 and Citori Traps. I use the Browning Extended versions and can not tell a difference. I have enough of them if I take one out to clean it I can but in another and see no performance difference. I believe the are all Briley tubes anyway.

The reason I ever really went to extended tubes was to protect the end of the barrel. In my Citori Special Trap I have the original factory flush tubes in it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
. . . . protecting the end of the barrel, being able to check the tightness by hand, and easily see the constriction are the reasons I prefer extended chokes.

If it's a trap gun with tight and tighter constrictions there's plenty of metal at the muzzle. I know of a couple of game guns that got dinged at the muzzle that would have been protected by an extended choke.

Andrew.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A Browning flush full choke is .710 restriction. A Browning Diamond Grade full choke is .705 constriction.
The entrance to a flush is .755. The entrance to a Diamond is .745. The parallel section is approx. the same in both but the Diamond is .730" longer giving a longer taper section. If the flush mount is a full choke , the Diamond extended is the equivalent of a extra full.
Shoot both at paper at 40 yards. You will see a significant difference.
I do not own any Midas chokes because the Diamond Grades are prettier.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Don't worry, Theres no mistaking those old blued Browning made pieces of junk they called choke tubes to anthing produced for them by Briley...that's the whole reason they changed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts