Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides a dropout trigger, what does the TM1 have that the BT99 doesn't? Are they both equally rebuildable? Any pluses or minuses to either over the other (besides cost)?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
There both very good guns. Had both. 2 TM-1`s and 5 BT`s. Still have the BT`s. Must be a reason for that !!!!!

·
Registered
29,330 Posts
One difference I remember when they were being sold at the time, Perazzi offered guns with, what? half a dozen stock dimensions? Designated as #1, #4, #12, #13 and #15.

The BT99 had one? Most had straight comb, don't know if the had an MC stock.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My TMX was proofed in 1982 and I have owned it for 30 years. I also had 5 BT-99s and they were all good guns. Price is the big difference; you can buy a used BT-99 for half the price of a used TM1.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm sorry, but in my opinion the BT is not in the same class as the TM-1. Don't get me wrong, the early Bt's were good guns, can't say the same with the later ones. I've owned three or four Bt's and they're long gone. I have three Tm-1's and sold one that I wish I had back. They will last a lifetime with normal maintenance. To me nothing points and handles like a Perazzi. They will increase in value more than the BT, and you don't have to say to your friends," Some day I'll own a Perazzi". The TM-1 is a precision made Italian gun versus a gun you'll have to put your tail between your legs and say, " Mine is made in Japan".

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the things I like about Perazzis is that they're rebuildable. Are the BT99s similarly rebuildable?

·
Registered
29,330 Posts
No, they are not the same class gun, but at the time both were the biggest and only selling SBT, unless you were rich enough to afford a 4E, 5E 7E. Most guns were Remington 870's, 1100's 3200's, Model 12's and SuperX1. What helped made your choice between a BT99 and a TM1 was the price difference and availability. You could find a BT99 a lot easier than a TM-1 Then and even now on the used market. Yes, both are rebuildable, depending on the skill of the artist rebuilding it.

Reactions: Roger C

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
No, they are not the same class gun, but at the time both were the biggest and only selling SBT, unless you were rich enough to afford a 4E, 5E 7E. Most guns were Remington 870's, 1100's 3200's, Model 12's and SuperX1. What helped made your choice between a BT99 and a TM1 was the price difference and availability. You could find a BT99 a lot easier than a TM-1 Then and even now on the used market. Yes, both are rebuildable, depending on the skill of the artist rebuilding it.
That's true, because the Perazzi owners kept their guns.

·
Registered
29,330 Posts
I think it is because there were more BT's made than TM-1 over time. Remember the BT99 had almost a ten year head start, almost, and is still being offered today loooong after the TM1 went out of production. My first real trap gun was a BT, it cost me a third of what a TM-1 cost and was all I could afford at the time. Same story today and why people are buying 725 combos instead of 2000's , 2005's and MX8 combos. What is current MSRV on a TX9, 9-10 grand? You can buy two TriStar combos for that. That is nice thing about trapshooting, gun variety.

Someday, I hope there will be a shotgun offered in the AR type concept.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
This is silly comparing 2 quality single barrel guns without even considering the others. If I had a H&R Topper single barrel 12 gauge and had Tom Wilkinson do the barrel, Wenig build a custom stock, Moneymaker install a custom rib, and finally get Jim to make a Precision trigger for it, would I not have like the ultimate shooting machine? Sure the action wouldn't hold up for a million rounds but...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Not totally relevant but years ago a former State Champ, 100 straight type, and all around nice guy sidled up to me at a local club and said;" Bill, have you noticed since you got rid of that 1100 and started shooting a Perazzi people who would not say hello to you now seek your advice"? I have had both BT-99 and now a TMX. One was built by engineering input in a country not known for recreational shooting. The other built by a sports minded family and Olympic winnjers.

·
Registered
29,330 Posts
Well, excccccccuuuuuseeee me. The original poster asked for differences between a BT-99 and a TM-1. It appears he was asking about physical aspects and cost of rebuild.

They both have wood stocks, steel receivers, barrels and internal parts, and ventilated ribs. The obivious differences is quailty fit and balance trigger pull and lock time. Some TM-1's came with leaf springs, some with coils. The performance difference is in the hands of the shooter and his ability swing point the gun and if he does it better with a muzzle heavy vs a center balanced gun.

No, the BT is not in the same class as the TM, but both are fine shooters in their own right. The greater numbers of BT's is because of the greater number of them produced along with affordability.

If the OP wanted to know the differences between the BT, the TM and 6 other SBT guns I guess he would have included that in his original post. What other top SBT guns were made at the same time the BT-99 and the TM-1 were produced? Not now, but then? During that period, in the mid 70's neither the BT or TM had adjustable choke tubes, adjustable ribs or stocks except what after market vendors provided.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Biggest difference that I could see...............I've seen BT's shot till they couldn't/wouldn't fix them anymore.

Never saw a Perazzi you couldn't/wouldn't fix.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
29,330 Posts
Stl Flynn pointed out to us the fix for a TM1 oval firing pin hole is to use a Browning insert, drilling out the pin hole, tapping the metal and screwing in the insert which I had on on mine a few years back. It took Browning parts to save the life of my TM1. Oh, the irony. LOL.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Like em both but have to say after 40 years and 120,000 registered in many states, our squad was held up the most from Perazzi breakdowns and the 1100, rarely, if ever, a BT, just sayin.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
bluedevil,
Was not there but would bet most of the Perazzi breakdowns were fixed in short order.
No so with the Remington's or Brownings, just saying based on my experiences since 1972.

I hunt with both Remington and Browning and have shot trap with a 3200 and 1100.
All are fine weapons.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts