Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I wanted to ask you experts what i can do to keep the bt100 from slapping my cheek. It is a stock bt100 with adjustable comb. I have moved the comb up down left and right and still seems to be slapping me. Its bad slap also. I bought this trap gun earlier this spring and want to get it so it dont slap me. I had a remington 1100 trap and a charles daly superior grade before this gun. and they did slap. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Oh I also tried puttin shims behind the recoil pad to change pitch also and that didnt seem to work either.

Also another question, What is the advantage to having the high rib? All my other trap guns were just standard ribs. Is it a possibility Im just burying my face down to hard on the comb, because thats what im used too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Use the search window at the top and type in "pitch" and search, reading what comes up.
There's lots of info there you should read and study. If you're just putting shims in the butt stock, without knowing why you're doing it and where to do it, that's a problem. Also google "shotgun pitch" and there's lots of info on line. I just fixed my gun and it was rather easy once you understood how and where to do it. Mine was the opposite of most guns. It recoiled downward and my gripping of the gun pulled it back into my cheek - better said, I was pulling it up into my cheek after it recoiled downward from shooting.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Just a thought from a different view. For 50 years, every gun I've fired has hurt my cheek. I could shoot a rifle with .22 shorts and it would raise a welt. Despite every stock adjustment known to man, same problem. My solution (again, for 50 years) has been a stick-on comb pad. Have had one on every trap gun I've owned. They come in many thicknesses, cost about $15 last I checked, and don't hurt the wood if you need to remove it. Sure makes shooting comfortable for me.

My photo (left) shows a pad on my old Model 12 that I was shooting for nostalgia's sake when the photo was snapped. The ones I use now are a bit smaller, just covering the comb.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Just a thought from a different view. For 50 years, every gun I've fired has hurt my cheek. I could shoot a rifle with .22 shorts and it would raise a welt. Despite every stock adjustment known to man, same problem. My solution (again, for 50 years) has been a stick-on comb pad. Have had one on every trap gun I've owned. They come in many thicknesses, cost about $15 last I checked, and don't hurt the wood if you need to remove it. Sure makes shooting comfortable for me.

My photo (left) shows a pad on my old Model 12 that I was shooting for nostalgia's sake when the photo was snapped. The ones I use now are a bit smaller, just covering the comb.
If I had a face like that, my cheek would hurt too. Yikes!!!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Your stock is punching your face because it does not fit properly. Changing pitch won't change stock fit. Do you mash your face onto the stock to line up the beads? If so, you probably need offset on your stock. BT stocks are straight, with no offset. If offset is need, moving the comb over will not stop the stock from hitting your cheek. Simply put, the whole stock needs to be moved over.

Lit, you have been shooting an ill fitting gun for 50 years?
Fellas, is this guy too cheap or what?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
My doubles gun (Superposed ST-100) beats me up pretty good too since I had to start sitting on a stool to shoot. I did the stock pitch thing....changed nothing. But living where I do (Alberta) I don't have easy access to a craftsman to do an adjustable comb or a experienced stock fitter to tell me what needs doing, so I'll just soldier on with trying to figure it out...or quit shooting doubles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I shoot a BT-100. Cause it sous have a strait stock and I know I need some off set. I moved my comb over and added some lead weight in the stock under the pad. Helped out a lot, but I know it's not what I need to do to fix it..... Tim

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Get you a PFS stock and adjust it to fit you. Most of these suggestions are bandades to a gun that don't fit. Yes you can mask the problem somewhat but you will enjoy shooting a bunch more when your gun fits the way it should.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Get you a PFS stock and adjust it to fit you.
Vern does not make a grip to fit this gun. To have a custom grip made is very expensive indeed.

But Goose 2 is correct that you need to have a gun that fits you well.

My advice would be to seek a Professional Gun Stock Fitter ASAP. You can find one at your state shoot!!! so go there. Any state shoot or zone shoot in any of the 3 types of shooting sports (trap,skeet,sporting clays) will have stock vendors there ready to help you out. You can't do this over the phone. You can't fix this yourself from a book. Have the gun fitter do the work needed to get the gun to fit. He may have to cut/or add the stock, or install a adj. butt plate, or both. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

Almost forgot: Its been said to grip the wood like your trying to squeeze the sap out of it. and pull the gun into your shoulder the same way!!!!!!!! So are you holding the gun to your shoulder hard enough??? Are you gripping the gun enough???

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
It could be as simple as the way you are mounting your gun, but you need someone who can tell if that's the problem. I would be more apt to either send the gun down the road or invest in a custom grip and PFS although costly it would be the best solution without having a custom stock made.

Surfer

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts

I bought one of those at the Grand and put it on my Cynergy. Best money I ever spent on a shooting accessory. Mine used to slap me and now it doesn't bother me a bit to shoot 400-500 birds a day, several days in a row. Once I put it on I had to readjust the comb down and to the right a bit to make up for the thickness of the pad, but I am shooting some of the best scores ever now.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If you have an adjustable comb, you might try adjusting the front of the comb slightly down and to the right (if you are a right handed shooter). That helped me until I got my stock fitted to me.
John

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Do you mount your gun and pull the gun back and push your head forward against the stock? If you do, you are stretching your cheek to the point where there is no movement left for recoil.

·
Banned
940 Posts
Try this, take your index finger and put it up to your cheek, then lower your head like getting down on your stock. When you do that you will notice how much more pressure your finger puts on your cheek and the gun will recoil back and up and into your face. Try lifting your gun to your cheek while holding your head level and don't lower your head down into the stock. The gun will recoil straight back instead of up under your cheek and you will notice a big difference. I had the same problem and had Wenig make me a custom stock and although it did lessen the slap to my face it still kicked me. He told me that I might have to take a higher mount like I told you above and when I got home and tried it, it really worked well.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I always got a sore cheek from my shotguns until I started using a rad or gracoil recoil reduction device.
Really helps me keep on the stock.
Bill

·
Registered
527 Posts
My BT 100 did the same thing. I moved the front of the comb to the right so, as the gun recoils, the comb moves away from me. I also added a Meadows Industries comb saddle. A thin leather pad that moves with your cheek and lets the gun recoil under it. I can shoot this gun all day now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts