1,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Charlie, how wide is the rib on that Broadway? What were the grades in Broadways? Was it Lightning Diana and Midas? Could this be a European gun and what a the choke markings?
PDave
Rib appears to be at least a cm wide. It was made in Belgium.

·
6,129 Posts
One of my trap shooting buddies loaned me his Browning Broadway. Any ideas on engraving? I cleaned it up a little and will shoot just for the experience soon. View attachment 1810556 View attachment 1810555 View attachment 1810556
View attachment 1810555
It's interesting... I went through my copy of the "Browning Superposed", and the BROADway was introduced in '61. Reviewing the multiple engraving options for the 60s, the gun almost has the look of a pigeon and that of a pointer sans the dogs.

Clearly pheasants and waterfowl with scroll on a nice higher grade. Alfonse Marechal is listed on page 210. He was one of a handful of family members noted as engravers. A nicely, more uniquely engraved version of the Superposed from the 1960s.

I own '65 BROADway grade 1, that I put Briley's into in order to shoot Skeet, Sporting and afield for pheasant and dove... great handmade Belgium guns.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It's interesting... I went through my copy of the "Browning Superposed", and the BROADway was introduced in '61. Reviewing the multiple engraving options for the 60s, the gun almost has the look of a pigeon and that of a pointer sans the dogs.

Clearly pheasants and waterfowl with scroll on a nice higher grade. Alfonse Marechal is listed on page 210. He was one of a handful of family members noted as engravers. A nicely, more uniquely engraved version of the Superposed from the 1960s.

I own '65 BROADway grade 1, that I put Briley's into in order to shoot Skeet, Sporting and afield for pheasant and dove... great handmade Belgium guns.
I tried to get my buddy to sell it, he no longer shoots, but he isn't interested in selling it. I'm not sure what it is worth.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Clearly pheasants and waterfowl with scroll on a nice higher grade. Alfonse Marechal is listed on page 210.
See page 381

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I used to shoot a friend's 32" black actioned B25 Broadway in the late 1970s. It was an excellent trap gun. This evening I did a search on 'Guntrader' in the UK and came up with half a dozen s/h B25 Broadways in various European grades. All had 30" barrels. None had engraving patterns that were the same as the one in the pics you posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The F/N B25 / Superposed Broadway trap was introduced in 1961. I still own a 1963 F/N B25 A1 Broadway trap with 32" barrels which were standard. Shorter barrels we special order. Alfonse Marechal was not a master engraver but is listed in the Superposed book. Unfortunately, we don't see your serial or upper tang. Until 1966 the guns had an upper "Y" tang and after that the "U" tang. It would be important to see the serial number to know which area the gun is from (early until 1966 or mid after 1966 until 1977) and the barrel marks if it is a European F/N isue or a US "Browning" issue. It is certainly a gun from the 60s because Marechal engravings were 60s guns, but not much is known about him I doubt it is a later gun. As mentioned earlier, It looks to be a B2G grade engraving which was the best selling in those days.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought a 28" Broadway, F/M - certain that it was final step for me to shoot box birds as well as Richard Smith who shot his into the 80's. Damn good pigeon gun, but I was seduced by Perazzi Mirage and never looked back. My youngest son still has it. Std, pre-salt, straight trap stock/beavertail forearm, oil finish.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Numbers below top lever:
20011 S73B2. (B2 were small letter and number, I can't make them small)
Barrels are 30 inches
Rib is 1.5 cm wide

Also, someone had Thin wall Briley chokes installed, will this help, hurt, or make no difference in the value?

·
6,129 Posts
Numbers below top lever:
Barrels are 30 inches
Rib is 1.5 cm wide

Also, someone had Thin wall Briley chokes installed, will this help, hurt, or make no difference in the value?
I had the thinwalls installed ... Being a Grade 1, I didn't give it a second thought, but they made the gun more useable... to me that increased its value. With the IM/F, I was limited to trap... With chokes, I can shoot Skeet, Sporting, and occasionally afield for pheasant and dove.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Numbers below top lever:
Barrels are 30 inches
Rib is 1.5 cm wide

Charlie, don't mean to be negative but anytime you disfigure a grade gun you hurt the value unless whatever was done to it is exactly what a perspective buyer wants. Unfortunately, most buyers don't indicate the desire for the addition.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts