Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a Tornado brush on my 1187 for years with no ill effects that I know of? Bore shiny bright spotless. It really gets plastic material out of bore quickly.
I see now they have Bronze Tornado Brushes? I believe mine is Stainless Steel, its at least 10 years old? Should I or does it matter if Bronze or Stainless?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Both work well...The biggest risk with SS arises when the brush gets old and the wires start to separate or break where they connect to the end fittings - the loose wires have the potential for scratching the bore (admittedly small due to the geometry and limited wire-bore force). Bronze is softer than most steels, so loose wires are not as big an issue as with SS. But, with either type, the outer diameter of the brush is typically too small for effective bore cleaning by the time the wires start to break. So, pulling the loose wires out of the brush and then using the brush as a swabbing jag (by wrapping a 3"x3" patch round the old brush) is a good use for older brushes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been trying to get the plastic out of my 12 gauge shotgun barrel...Nothing worked, I then used the Hoppes SS Tornado Brush, the bore is now mirror like. The tornado brush works great....

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
When I was shooting pistols I watched barrels being rifled for custom guns, both SAs and revolvers. usually 356 or 357 diameter, 7 grooves, any twist from 1-14 to 1-32 depending on the application.

The guy told us that his greatest money maker was a stainless steel anything brush. His theory was that the tiny scratches they caused permitted a build-up of lead, lubricant, copper or whatever which was then very difficult to remove, and also detrimental to accuracy. So the stainless brush was used more and more, each time aggravating the situation. Sure, the bore would be clean, but it would not remain so for long.

Never used a steel brush before that as my smith warned me not to. After that discussion I swore off them for good.

Does it matter with a shotgun? Probably not as much, but I still won't use one.

YMMV.

·
Registered
402 Posts
To keep friction and abrasion to a minimum try Shooters Choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner aerosol spray. You’ll see the plastic start pulling away from the bore in seconds. Of course follow it up with a brush, I use a bore snake because it’s easy. I soak the chokes in Slip 2000 whenever I think it’s time, it’s pretty random to be honest. Mainly when I start shooting bad and blame the gun... both products are proven performers and available on Amazon or maybe your local club pro-shop.

I was mentored from early on to use a brush that is softer than steel, a Hoppes phosphor bronze brush is a good one. Stainless steel rubbing against steel can gall causing damage, lubricant helps to prevent it but why chance it.

If you decide to give the chemicals a try, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Been using this brush for over 25 years to remove carbon & plastic buildup. Rodger the bore brush man who has now passed used to sell these brushes. The brush part is a 20mm cannon brush that started out about 1” diameter, now down to 7/8”
This is not a flimsy tornado brush and it takes some twisting, but in a matter of seconds it breaks up buildup into crumbles.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Is there a cleaner made specifically to remove plastic from shotguns?
I use Ed's Red. I use bronze brush, then a spray of Ed's Red, 4" x 4" surgical gauze. It's really helped my low B class scores stay there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is there a cleaner made specifically to remove plastic from shotguns?
Yes - try Shooters Choice Shotgun and Choke tube cleaner aerosol. As soon as you spray into barrel you’ll see the plastic wad build up start t0 melt away from the sides. I let it soak for a few minutes before using the bore snake. I use Slip2000 for soaking the chokes, it’ll pull the plastic out or loosen it for scrubbing with a brush. I used a phosphor bronze brush or bore snake for the bore and nylon brushes for the chokes. Everyone has their opinions and preferences those are mine, it works pretty well for me. I pasted the below directly from the Shooters Choice website...

Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner

Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner is designed specially to remove fouling from barrels, choke tubes, and ports. It easily cleans receiver and trigger assemblies. Shooter’s Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner quickly melts plastic wad fouling!
  • 12 ounce aerosol can
  • Quickly removes plastic wad, lead and powder fouling from barrels, choke tubes and ports
  • Removes carbon and powder from gas operating mechanism
  • Cleans receiver and trigger groups

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am not saying that I recommend this method but it did a really great job of making an old abused side by side barrel look brand new inside. And yes it was a venue shooting both singles and doubles but have done it with trap doubles where the breeze was just right the the smoke wasn't a problem for us, the down wind trap on the other hand had some colorful language for our fun.

Take four friends shoot 50 targets shooting black powder loads. After the shooting is over cork the barrels and fill with a cleaner with ammonia in it. Then retire to a place with beverages and shoot the bull for awhile. After the bull has been shot go back to the barrels poor the cleaner back into a container, run a dry patch on the tightest brush or jag you can push through the barrels than run an oiled patch and throughly clean and oil the gun.

I don't know which was the best part of the evening but those bores shinning like a diamond? It is still one of the best ways I have ever gotten this task done with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will get some of the Shooters Choice Cleaner and some bronze brushes. I used Shooters Choice products for High Power Rifle cleaning and they worked well. Thanks for the advice. Some well good advice if I get into BP shotguns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts