Trapshooters Forum banner

@@ Broken Rifle Stock Eye Candy @@

5422 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  plabels466
Here is one that is worth the display. I have a good client that sent in a broken rifle stock to us to be repaired and below are the before and after photos of the work. The crew did it again and I hope that the owner will be pleased with how it came out. I am a little worried about the grip area as it is very thin and we do not want it to crack again but the Crew installed a hard maple dowel in the grip from the inside, applied steel bedding, Cindy re-cut all the checkering and Mike did the refinish. Thanks to my Crew for another fine job and thank you all for taking a look.

Denis, Cindy & The Crew

BEFORE as it was received

Wood Tree Shotgun Tie

Shotgun Wood Tie

After when complete

Shotgun Wood

Knife Hunting knife Shotgun Wood Blade

Wood

Shotgun Wood Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Molon Labe
12,009 Posts
Great job

· Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,738 Posts
That is amazing work Dennis. Awesome job! Harv

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mette56,

I am working on another project for an inset to install in the grip area of a gun stock for shotguns. If this concept works I believe that we will be able to build a stock that will never break again under normal use. It is a special reamer that I am having made that will allow a solid hard rock maple dowel to be installed in the ears and grip area of a tanged style stock. All the wood is going to do is hange on the dowel and that will help us put any type of wood no matter how bad the grain on a gun with confidence that it will hold up. I did this three years ago for Earnie Ross on a k-80. We made a stock out of a rotten piece of Burl Pin Oak and we set the stock up in the mill and 3-D machined an insert to fit into the blank of wood. The insert was epoxyed in the blank and then carved. That was three years ago and the gun is still being shot with no damage to the wood on the outside of the plug. This is coming soon and if it works we will be able to do a repair on almost any stock and be confident that the stock will not break again. Thank you again for the comments.

Dennis DeVault

· Registered
949 Posts
Gorgeous work. Win model 70 Feather? After market or OEM?

Looking at the grain I really have to wonder what the original maker was thinking

The grain runs across the wrist instead of with it.

Should they have dowelled it in advance or just not made it so thin?

regards

· Registered
7,243 Posts
Sir, your work is first class. I have a question about the maple wood dowel. Why wouldn't a metal pin be a primary choice of material? Even low grade steel like in common hardware store threaded rod is far stronger than wood. I am in no way critical of your work, I am just wondering for my own education.

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer three questions the caliber is a .270, the stock was dropped and then fallen on to cause the break, the last question is about the dowel. To us and experiense in repairing broken stocks metal causes a void in the wood and epoxy does not adhere to both metal and wood with equal strength. By using a straight grain wooden dowel you get a cross section of grains and the wood will become an inherient part of the other wood and adheres better to another piece of wood rather than steel. In the past we have used bamboo rods for repairs that have held up far longer than steel ever has. The bamboo will bend and flex where steel will not. The wood to wood also seems to give and not break the epoxy bond once it is cured. Hope that this answers the questions and thank you for the comments.

Dennis DeVault

· Registered
679 Posts
Dennis - OMG - that is an unbelievable beautiful repair on my fine Ferlach 270 rifle....WOW!!!! Absolutly - I can't wait to see it.....I spoke to Mike yesterday & we spoke about the repairs.....I want to personally thank Mike, Cindy, & of course you for doing the work.....I thought you were going to send it back to me because of the condition it was in.....I just finished looking at the 'before photo's' again - I would not know where to begin.....Then the final product, WOW!!!!!!!!!! Dennis, you & your crew are truly the best when it comes to wood & shotguns....Remember I still have that 20 gauge Beretta 391 you built that I bought from Dean a few years back - that one is a true head-turner & deady on sporting clays......Thanks to you readers also for the compliments on my new toy.....When I get the rifle back together I will post more photo's.....Hurry up mailman--------------------Pete LaBella

· Registered
679 Posts
Dennis, I had the stock waiting for me today when I got home...Boy did I have fun opening the box...And I found a masterpiece of wood & craftmanship like I never seen before... Absoulutly incredible work the crew did on it... I will get this together next week & post the pics when I finish...Thanks again good friend....Pete LaBella

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.