Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen a hammer break like this? I have owned this gun since 2005 and this is the second time I have had this happen. The first time was shortly after I bought the gun. Both times on the bottom barrel hammer (which, since I have an unsingle gets way more use) and both times exactly the same place.

Luckily I bought the last of the spare parts Zoli had on hand for this model, which they no longer support.

I suppose a part like this would not be difficult for a gunsmith to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Anyone ever seen a hammer break like this? I have owned this gun since 2005 and this is the second time I have had this happen. The first time was shortly after I bought the gun. Both times on the bottom barrel hammer (which, since I have an unsingle gets way more use) and both times exactly the same place.

Luckily I bought the last of the spare parts Zoli had on hand for this model, which they no longer support.

I suppose a part like this would not be difficult for a gunsmith to make.
I've had that happen, found out the hammer was not hitting flat when it hit the firing pin. had a little ground off the face of the hammer so it hit flat, no more broken hammers.
jack mc

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Perazzi TM's used to break hammers due over hardened material, this may be the cause or as jack said it may be striking off face causing your failures.

Surfer

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I had a cracked hammer welded by a gunsmith and it still works just fine. This was the coil spring trigger assembly for the TMX which I use as spare. I regularly use a McDaniels leaf spring Release trigger in the TMX. I do believe that the hammers in leaf spring triggers in Perazzi trap guns are less likely to break.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Tim, a question for ya. When your looking at the face of the cracked material. Does it show any signs on the granular surface where it may have been cracked for a period of time? If it was, there should be some almost polished looking granular suface around the edges. The reason I ask that, is because in your picture the hole looks to somewhat oblong. Maybe it's just the photo, if not check the alignment. JMO

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Perazzi TM's used to break hammers due over hardened material, this may be the cause or as jack said it may be striking off face causing your failures.

Surfer
surfer, It was a tm-1 that was breaking hammers but not after fixing the face of the hammer.

jack mc

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
One on my Beretta 687 cracked in half while using my unsingle, but just had it replaced, I kept the old hammer, looked like "pot metal" due to the crystallization in the break area. Lucky I was just Sunday morning shooting at the club as gun jammed closed after I shot. Steve

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a one-time brittle fracture. It fits back together so nice I could almost super glue it and it wouldn't show a seam.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Tim, find a welder that knows what he's doing with a Tig. Have him put it together with Tool Steel rod.

Make sure the hole is not oval, check the keeper pin for wear and it will probably last forever.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Of all the trap guns I've owned I've only had one hammer break and that's in the TMX I'm presently shooting. Good to hear some of the possible causes, especially if it happens again.

Steve

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Just looking at the part explains why they were redesigned. Awfully crude looking piece. It's got failure designed into it. Trying to repair that part, especially by welding would be a waste of time. If you were to do so, you would remove some more metal and build the end back up with weld. Then remachine it back to standard.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
As you're so fond of saying "this is not about me"

The welders I worked with found only two things they couldn't fix.

A Broken Heart and the Crack of Dawn!
Well it's about you this time. I've seen specialty light bulb filaments welded inside a miniature condom, but there was no
"Good Welder" involved. It was all done by a machine sealed inside the condom.

Suck it up, there's no "Good Welder" going to repair that hammer. But you ajax knew that before you suggested it.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I am not familure with the action of your Zoli Tim but I had a couple of similar looking failures in one of my Beretta 682s. Eventually I discovered it was a result of how I was adjusting the hammer strut which is wrapped by the mainspring. The correctly adjusted position left a bit of slack in the hammer when it was in the forward (fired) position. Perhaps something like that is going on with your gun. Worse case, I bet you could get a new hammer machined and heat treated but you know it won't be cheap.

Best of luck buddy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts