Trapshooters Forum banner

Broke hammer spring while dry firing

2350 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Devonian
I practice mounting and moving to the target with a Terry Jordan wall charts several times a day (working from home so between meetings and on breaks). I use a snap cap and pull the trigger. This morning my hammer spring broke (Perazzi MX bottom barrel). I definitely dry fire more than I will actually shoot targets so I am wondering if I should just leave the safety on and simulate pulling the trigger. That is, use the same force and pull the trigger but it will not actually release the hammer. At the very least it would save some money on a new spring. But maybe not as good as actually pulling the trigger.

What do you think? Anyone do this?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Sky Buster
4,482 Posts
I practice mounting and moving to the target with a Terry Jordan wall charts several times a day (working from home so between meetings and on breaks). I use a snap cap and pull the trigger. This morning my hammer spring broke (Perazzi MX bottom barrel). I definitely dry fire more than I will actually shoot targets so I am wondering if I should just leave the safety on and simulate pulling the trigger. That is, use the same force and pull the trigger but it will not actually release the hammer. At the very least it would save some money on a new spring. But maybe not as good as actually pulling the trigger.

What do you think?
Why not use a snap cap? Broken hammer springs on the MX series Perazzi is a common problem.

· Registered
358 Posts
Why not use a snap cap? Broken hammer springs on the MX series Perazzi is a common problem.
I think he said he is using a snap cap. the P guns are notorious for breaking springs, at the very worst time usually ![smile]
Terry does reccomend using the snap caps and pulling the trigger each time to get the full training effect.
That is what I recall from his material.

· Registered
257 Posts
hi,

At least it broke at home and not on the line. The truth of the matter is they break.

I don't like to snap my MX-8 in practice, so I let the hammers down and just pull the trigger. That may make a difference, but it is close enough for me.

If you want the full experience, make sure you have a good snap cap. One where the primer is not too dented and expect to break a spring now and then. Of course, as Perazzi shooters, we should all expect to break a spring now and then.

chet h

· Registered
2,766 Posts
More than likely it would have broke in the same amount of pulls anyway. So look at it as a savings on shells, while still pulling the trigger. I think that snap should be part of the practice to get used to the timing, and the reality of the trigger pull if nothing else, to get used to no recoil during the trigger pull (flinch). That visual and physical movement along with the trigger pull is an exact replication of the shooting without the recoil and bang. There is no better practice for the cost, even including the spring.

· Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would. You are shooting a Perazzi? Whaddya expect? Browning prices?
I can appreciate it is a more expensive gun but with the higher cost I am expecting longer life and more durability, in the gun and the higher priced parts as well. In my estimate this is a $20 item not $45, purely based on the fact that I replaced it mid last year and have not done nearly enough shooting or trigger pulls for it to break so soon.

· Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much do you calculate that $45 spring saved you over buying ammunition (or reloading it) plus whatever your club charges for targets?

If I am you, I am paying the $45 with a giant smile on my face. Which is why the wall charts are so popular.
I see your point. I already order two springs to replace the broken one and to have a backup. I also have a backup trigger group in case this happens on while I am on the line.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I can appreciate it is a more expensive gun but with the higher cost I am expecting longer life and more durability, in the gun and the higher priced parts as well. In my estimate this is a $20 item not $45, purely based on the fact that I replaced it mid last year and have not done nearly enough shooting or trigger pulls for it to break so soon.
How many pulls and shooting have you done?

· Registered
Perazzi MX10 RS
144 Posts
To get full benefit you need to actually pull the trigger (& therefore drop the hammer) each time.
Well, there you have it!
Hard to argue with one of the best. BUT, I think a lot of the value of the wall chart is getting reps in consistently mounting the gun, as well as practicing moving your eyes to the target first. So with that in mind, I like to simulate a full round breaking down my gun and dry firing each time. Then I’ll do the chart across and back from a center post and only actually dry fire the first “shot” and focus on my mount and eye movement to save my springs a bit...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.