Trapshooters Forum banner

Briley Side Kick tubes

1338 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  livetoshoot
Hi guys. Looking for opinions from you on using Briley side kick tubes vs full length Briley tubes. Looking to use 20 gauge tubes in a 12 gauge Blaser f3 barrel. Like the shorter side kick tubes due to the lighter weight. Let me know your experiences, thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
i have them and they leave a dirty ring inside your barrell where the tubes end . i won't shoot 12 gauge shells till i get that ring out , and it doesn't like to come out . its a real sob to get out in my barrell . your barrell may be different . i quit using mine .

· Registered
862 Posts
My experience was in agreement with the three posters above. They shoot fine but they are really a pain to clean, and may leave a carbon ring in the 12 ga. barrel. Also, the residue will get into the action are require additional cleaning there as well. I had a trigger stop resetting due to the blowback in the mechanism. I went to the full length tubes and adjusted to the very slight difference in balance.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
The Tornado brush seems to be the easiest for me to remove the carbon ring you get with the Sidekicks. As dandee said I won't shoot the 12 till I knock the carbon ring out just to be safe. I have a set of 20 gauge in both tubes and sidekicks.

· Registered
673 Posts
The 20 ga. inserts work fairly well in a 12 ga. however the 28 ga and .410 versions not so much. The original short Side Kicks have all the issues noted above however, Briley has improved the situation by adding a barrel extension on the 2.0 versions (much like their original .410 models). The longer 2.0 versions should improve combustion and reduce blowback some. You might want to look for a set of Seminole Chambermates or Rhino Stingers as they both had O-ring seals to reduce the blowback and Rhinos have the long tubes also. For most fun shooting, you should be happy with the performance of most of the 12 to 20 ga. options as long as you are willing to do the extra cleaning. It was hard for me to get used the extra swing weight (inertia) of full length tubes. Good luck.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 20 ga. inserts work fairly well in a 12 ga. however the 28 ga and .410 versions not so much. The original short Side Kicks have all the issues noted above however, Briley has improved the situation by adding a barrel extension on the 2.0 versions (much like their original .410 models). The longer 2.0 versions should improve combustion and reduce blowback some. You might want to look for a set of Seminole Chambermates or Rhino Stingers as they both had O-ring seals to reduce the blowback and Rhinos have the long tubes also. For most fun shooting, you should be happy with the performance of most of the 12 to 20 ga. options as long as you are willing to do the extra cleaning. It was hard for me to get used the extra swing weight (inertia) of full length tubes. Good luck.
Thank you all for the good information. Good shooting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.