Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and not much first hand experience. I know they are to compete with mullers. Anyone use them? Looking for a longevity report more so. Any splitting? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Its a soft aluminum tube just like the mullers. Any of the issues you run into on the mullers you'll run into on the plasmas since there really isn't room in a choke to make them thicker.

Stick with steel or titanium honestly.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Both Muller and Briley aluminum chokes break. Muller appears to have the most failures.
If you want a light weight choke choose titanium.

CT

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
I have not heard of any problems with Briley's aluminum chokes. Briley's website say's, they use a special high strength Aluminum alloy to strengthen their aluminum chokes. I don't really know if I would still trust a aluminum choke though? I'll second the motion to stay with Titanium chokes, if their spectrum chokes are too heavy for Ya? break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just odd there isn't a ton of info first hand with these chokes. I've read all about Muller but I like brileys stuff. To me they appear to be a tad longer than regular extended chokes, but i can't even find an overall dimension. I have no complaints with my current chokes just bored and wanted todo some research. Wish someone had done a muller vs briley plasma choke comparison. Thanks for the input thus far everyone!

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Heck I been using Kolar Aluminum chokes for years in my Kolar AAA tubes and carrier barrel that came with my Kolar Max Sporter
Are you sure your chokes are Aluminum? & Not Titanium!!! Kolar's extended chokes that look like the chokes on Krieghoff's are Titanium. Kolar's sub-gauge tube chokes are all stainless steel. I could not find any Aluminum chokes at all on Kolars website. I pretty sure that Krieghoff does not offer any Aluminum chokes as well.

IMO, There is no reason at all to buy Aluminum chokes. Muller has proven to me, all they can do is fail at a much faster rate than all other brands. So Why Bother with them!!! Its not like Aluminum chokes have been proven to give better patterns!!! So stick with buying chokes made from proven materials. That would be Titanium or 17-4 Stainless Steel. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff I appreciate that. That's all I needed to hear to take the the plunge myself on these cool looking choke tubes. This no shooting is getting to me and I'm over thinking everything. Hopefully we all will be back at it soon!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are you sure your chokes are Aluminum? & Not Titanium!!! Kolar's extended chokes that look like the chokes on Krieghoff's are Titanium. Kolar's sub-gauge tube chokes are all stainless steel. I could not find any Aluminum chokes at all on Kolars website. I pretty sure that Krieghoff does not offer any Aluminum chokes as well.

IMO, There is no reason at all to buy Aluminum chokes. Muller has proven to me, all they can do is fail at a much faster rate than all other brands. So Why Bother with them!!! Its not like Aluminum chokes have been proven to give better patterns!!! So stick with buying chokes made from proven materials. That would be Titanium or 17-4 Stainless Steel. break em all Jeff
Jeff,
The chokes that Kolar install in their AAA tube sets are indeed aluminum. The chokes that they install in their barrels are titanium.
The reason the aluminum chokes are OK and reliable in the tubes is because they have much more wall thickness stepping down from 12ga to a smaller gauge ( 20 - 28 -410 ). They also are threaded with female threads onto a stainless spud and are much stronger than an aluminum choke with male threads with thinner wall thickness at the root of the thread and the chokes are within and supported by the steel 12ga barrel.
I certainly do agree that aluminum chokes in 12ga barrels are too weak and just asking for trouble. I have seen too many split and break over a couple of years and why would anybody use a choke in competition when there is a chance that it could fail during the middle of a tournament. If you insist on aluminum chokes in 12ga guns then you should have spare chokes and the tools to remove the broken pieces with to keep shooting assuming that the choke failure did not damage your barrel.
I think both companies have recognized the risk of aluminum chokes as Briley has quit advertising them and Muller has started replacing his with his new stainless choke.
If your barrel is still too muzzle heavy with titanium chokes then get another barrel or gun.

CT

·
Banned
684 Posts

Yes I am sure !!!

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
The chokes that Kolar install in their AAA tube sets are indeed aluminum.
You may very well be correct. But, the fact remains that Kolar's website only States----extended chokes in Stainless Steel for one price. Extended Titanium chokes for another price. Last buy not least ext. sub-gauge chokes in Stainless for another price. So its possible their flush chokes are aluminum. I'm pretty sure the whole full length sub-gauge tube is made from Aluminum, so why not the choke as well. The Chamber should be made from Titanium though? But as you noted, the whole sub-gauge tube is surrounded by a steel barrel. Even if its not strong enough for a 12 ga. load (carrier barrel). The added strength of the aluminum full length tube,and the steel carrier barrel is more than strong enough for the 20,28 and 410 bore to be fired safely!!! Since the ext. sub-gauge tubes extend beyond the steel barrel. This would explain why they are made of Stainless instead of aluminium!!!

Since I'm bored, even though I did go out and pull the trigger today. I got my Briley sub-gauge chokes out of the case and they are magnetic. I then checked the chamber and barrel area of my sub-gauge tubes and neither of them are magnetic. But my chokes are. I then checked my Briley ext. chokes out of my browning and they are magnetic as well. I looked them up on Briley's website and they are made from 17-4 Stainless Steel. So I figure my Briley flush sub-gauge chokes are made from 17-4 Stainless Steel as well. I know that real Stainless Steel is NON--Magnetic, but I was not aware that 17-4 Stainless Steel IS--magnetic!!! I learned something today. ra ra ra. So, I thought I would share this info with the rest of TS.com. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
684 Posts

There is a reason for buying any choke it’s like buying Ford or Chevy we buy what we like or want,I don’t use Muller’s or Briley’s I use Extreme chokes.
I use Kolar AAA Aluminum Extended chokes in my AAA sub gage tubes because Kolar manufactured them that way.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Extreme makes excellent chokes. They use to make all the extended chokes for Krieghoff, until Krieghoff decided to produce there own chokes.
I can see why, you use the chokes that came with your Kolar sub-gauge tubes. Its just that I had no idea Kolar used Aluminum chokes in there sub-gauge tube-sets. I have only used Briley's sub-gauge tube sets. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
684 Posts
Extreme makes excellent chokes. They use to make all the extended chokes for Krieghoff, until Krieghoff decided to produce there own chokes.
I can see why, you use the chokes that came with your Kolar sub-gauge tubes. Its just that I had no idea Kolar used Aluminum chokes in there sub-gauge tube-sets. I have only used Briley's sub-gauge tube sets. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all Jeff
Jeff here is one for thought Winchester offered the first Aluminum choke years ago in their 59 Win-lite steel -fiberglass composition barrel auto loader mine is still going and never have I had an issue with a choke failure or any other problem the gun is supper light and a pleasure to hunt with and has broken many clay targets and harvested many species of game birds.
The ( New Aluminum Choke ) is not so new it is a re introductory to an old obsolete invention.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to stop and ask WHY are these aluminum chokes failing. If we only shot trap loads out of them lead not steel shot of course what makes them fail. Aluminum can't be all bad if ford is building there new trucks out of the stuff. Is some sense aluminum is stronger. It likes to retain its shape more than steel. I get if the choke is loose the fine threads would be an issue. As far as melting or softening of the aluminum while shooting I just can't fathom that. The heat just isn't there. Especially for trap. Yes barrels get hot but you can burn your finger before aluminum will melt. Beer drinkers know this by throwing a can in the fire. It takes a serious hot fire for those things "to go away" if you will. Here i am talking myself into them again.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I had a set split in a Blaser F3. I know people who have shot a ton of them in K80’s and Beretta’s and had no issues. I don’t think Briley offers the Plasma choke in Blasers any longer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts